I was super nervous to make these - I've never really experimented much with an actual batter instead of just dry ingredients and egg. But they were surprisingly kind to me and gave me no issues whatsoever. They were a pretty quick fix too and definitely full of flavor. I normally don't like cornbread, but I think I ate almost half of these bites!
What you need:
- 1 cup flour
- 2 Tbsp. cornmeal
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 jalapeno, deseeded and diced
- 1/2 cup milk
- 8 oz. block pepper jack cheese
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large pot.
- Place 1/2 a cup of flour in a bowl.
- Place the other 1/2 cup flour with cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, jalapeno, and milk in another bowl - mix together.
- Cut the block of cheese into 12 slices. Dip in flour and then into the mixture in the bowl.
- Fry for 1 minute and set on a paper towel lined plate to drain.
Recipe from Feeding My Temple