It's the most wonderful time of the year!!!! No, not Christmas time....BACK TO SCHOOL! Woo! I love my big kids dearly, but after a summer of being kind of cooped up (with Nick about to switch jobs, we weren't trying to spend money we may have needed) and being told constantly to shush because the baby was sleeping...I think they were just as ready as I was for them to go back to school.
Today's theme for the Sunday Supper Movement was perfectly timed - my kids just finished their first week of school. I am looking forward to finding great lunchbox ideas, snacks, quick dinners, and more! Thanks to D.B. of Crazy Foodie Stunts and Caroline of Caroline's Cooking for hosting the event!
I decided to share a sweets recipe that can realistically be a snack after school or a treat in the lunchbox as well. My kids love it when I make cookies and love love love to grab one for snack. I like them because I can grab them when I am starving and it's not time to eat whatever meal is next. They keep for longer than cake or muffins or brownies and there's always a surplus!
When I want to try a new cookie recipe, I most often turn to Sally of Sally's Baking Addiction. This girl has the BEST cookie recipes. Every one of her recipes I've tried were a huge success. I wanted to try her "Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever" recipe because with a name like that - they are bound to be good. And they are! Most of Sally's cookies are soft cookie recipes and I am a soft cookie fan. I like it even better if they keep soft and chewy, instead of turn crunchy after a day or two.
These particular cookies I made with M&Ms and chocolate chunks instead of just chocolate chips, as per Sally's suggestion. You build them up tall and they turn out perfectly round, perfectly puffy, perfectly soft & chewy, and perfectly PERFECT. I just cannot express how incredible these cookies are. They are by far the best chocolate chip cookies I've made. And the whole family loved them too. The kids were begging to eat these for snack & dessert...and they may have asked for breakfast too ;)
What you need:
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour [spoon into measuring cup and level - don't scoop!]
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, loosely packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature [you can do this by placing egg in warm water for 5 minutes]
- 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chunks
- 1 cup mini M&Ms [you can reserve some to place on top of cookie after baking, I prefer mine a little rustic]
- In a large bowl, lightly mix together flour, baking soda, cornstarch, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk butter and sugars until "smooth".
- Add egg and whisk, then egg yolk and whisk.
- Whisk in vanilla extract.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula.
- Fold in the chocolate chunks and M&Ms.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight. You can chill up to 3 days.
- Remove from fridge and let sit for 10 minutes while you preheat your oven to 325*.
- Roll dough into 3 Tbsp. size balls. They should be taller than wide.
- Place 8 cookie dough balls onto a silicone or parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 325* for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove and cool for 10 minutes - you can press in extra M&Ms right after you remove them from the oven, if you want. Then move to a wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe from Sally's Baking Addiction
Getting Started On School Days
- Banana and Chocolate Chip Muffins by Caroline's Cooking
- Caramel Apple Granola by What Smells So Good?
- Chocolate Coconut Granola Bars by Ruffles & Truffles
- Cinnamon Chocolate Overnight Oats by Whole Food | Real Families
- Funfetti French Toast by Brunch with Joy
- PB&J Muffins by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Grilled Chicken Sandwich by Cooking Chat
- Mini Pepperoni Calzones by The Redhead Baker
- Turkey Bacon Ranch Wrap by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Vietnamese Fresh Spring Rolls by Curious Cuisiniere
- Back to School Cookies by The Freshman Cook
- Fruit 'n Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola Bites by The Weekend Gourmet
- Healthy Blueberry Peach Oat Bars by Simply Healthy Family
- Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits by An Appealing Plan
- Mother’s Ruin Punch by Food Lust People Love
- "Nut Butter" Rice Crispy Balls by Books n' Cooks
- Parmesan Crisps Recipe by Life Tastes Good
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Monkey Bread by Grumpy's Honeybunch
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Apple Nachos by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Waffle Pizzas by Our Good Life
- Beef Peppers and Onions Burritos by Family Foodie
- One Pot Bacon-Cheeseburger Pasta by A Gouda Life
- Oven Fried Portabello Mushroom Fries by Food Done Light
- Peanut Chicken Cutlets by Magnolia Days
- Smoked Salmon Ravioli with Cream Sauce by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Turmeric Chicken and Couscous by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Gluten-Free Almond Joy Cupcakes by NinjaBaker
- M&M Chocolate Chunk Cookies by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Oreo Rice Krispy Treats by The Crumby Cupcake
- Paleo Cherry Blondies by Pies and Plots
- Plum Crumble Bars by Feeding Big
- Stuffed Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram