It's nice to switch it up every once in a while and not have your typical spaghetti dinner. I had found a recipe for spaghetti-like flavors with gnocchi and was incredibly excited to try it. While meal planning, I realized there was no meat in. And no meat = complaints from Nick and the kids. He has taught them to have to have meat for dinner. Can you see me rolling my eyes?
So easy enough, I just added meat to the mix. I feel ground beef or turkey is best, but I'm sure Italian sausage would be just as fabulous. It really is like spaghetti but with gnocchi instead of pasta. It's fairly quick to throw together and definitely a comfort meal. It will become a staple in your household!
There is definitely room for variation. You could add sauteed mushrooms, roasted red bell pepper, and different herbs to make it your own and to make it to your family's tastes. And if you do try variations, please let me know how they turned out!!
What you need:
- 1 lb. potato gnocchi
- 1 to 2 lb. ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 jar of Classico or other brand of spaghetti sauce [I love the fire roasted tomato & garlic]
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Dried parsley flakes
- Brown ground beef and crumble as you go. Drain, if needed.
- Turn heat to low and add spaghetti sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes or so.
- Meanwhile, cook gnocchi according to package directions in salted boiling water, drain, and set aside.
- In a greased casserole dish, pour your cooked gnocchi in the bottom. Pour the meat sauce over the top. Toss to coat.
- Top with mozzarella and Parmesan. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes at 350* or until cheese has melted.
- Serve topped with dried parsley.
Recipe adapted from Bellalimento
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram