This soup is so lovely and it reminds me so much of minestrone!
I saved this soup when I was assigned Wendy's blog for Secret Recipe Club. She actually had plenty of soups that I wanted to try and have and you will see them soon (hopefully). I picked this recipe because I don't eat as much ham as much as I'd like just because of lack of recipes saved. I also had never had barley and always wanted to try it. This soup was fantastic and really reminded me of minestrone with the tomatoes, zucchini, and oregano. It was a delicious dinner and we will most definitely make it often for our weekly soup nights!
What you need:
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 1 ham steak (I bought one with a bone)
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 large red potatoes, diced
- 1 can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 2 shallots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 can lima beans, drained
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 Tbsp. oregano
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- Pepper to taste
- Place bone and broth into a large stockpot and bring to a boil.
- Then reduce heat to medium and allow to simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add potatoes, tomatoes, shallots, celery, lima beans, barley, and oregano. Bring to a boil.
- Then reduce heat and simmer for one hour until vegetables and barley is tender.
- Remove bone from soup and then add zucchini.
- Simmer for 15 to 20 more minutes until zucchini is tender.
- Season with pepper to taste.
Recipe from A Day in the Life on the Farm
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram