It's a far cry from canned tomato soup, so don't be afraid to give this wonderful soup a try!
I was accustomed to eating a lot of canned soups as a kid and therefore, I didn't really care for soup at all. I did love bean and bacon soup, but that was literally the only soup I liked. Since growing up and learning that I like homemade foods better than canned or boxed foods, I have been trying out foods I may not have liked as a child. I think they deserve a second chance. Plus I make good food! Last year, my mom-in-law made homemade tomato soup and I really liked it. It had a lot of basil in it, so I knew that I wanted to also make a tomato soup with basil. I was so pleased to find a tomato soup recipe that was magnificent. I don't hate tomato soup anymore. AND my kids LOVE tomato soup. AND an even bigger feat...Nick loved it. When we first met, he wouldn't touch tomatoes. Not even diced tomatoes in casseroles. Now he will eat tomato soup. It's a miracle!
What you need:
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (10 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 3 tsp. minced garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, diced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup heavy cream or half and half
- 2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a slow cooker, stir together tomatoes, tomato sauce, basil, garlic, salt, pepper, onion, 1 cup heavy cream, and chicken broth.
- Cook on HIGH for 2 hours or on LOW for 4 to 8 hours (if you can, stir every once in a while if cooking the low setting).
- 30 minutes before serving, transfer to a blender or use an immersion blender, and puree until smooth. Then return to crockpot.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, add flour and stir until thickened. Slowly whisk in heavy cream or half and half until smooth and thickened.
- Add butter mixture and cheese to crockpot and stir.
- Cook for 20 to 30 more minutes. Stir before serving.
Another comforting soup that can be made in the crockpot is this wonderful Slow Cooker Sausage & Corn Chowder. This Wild Rice Slow Cooker Soup from Teatime in the Woods reminds me of my childhood. My grandma was always fixing stuff with wild rice!
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram