This sausage soup is total comfort food in a bowl with red pepper, spinach, and frozen egg noodles that give it such a from scratch feel to it!
Do you ever eat something and it reminds you of a nostalgic food but you can't put your finger on it? That is this Italian sausage soup for me. I think, in part, the nostalgia is due to the frozen egg noodles. The thing is...I can't remember who it was that made the recipe with frozen egg noodles. I feel like it was my mother-in-law but it very well could be my grandma. Who knows! What I do know is that you cannot go wrong with a sausage soup with red bell and spinach in it. The nostalgic noodles were just a bonus :)
What you need:
- 1 lb. Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tsp. minced garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 12 oz. Reames frozen egg noodles
- 2 cups half and half
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large stock pot over medium-high heat, brown and crumble Italian sausage. Then remove from pot.
- In the same pot, melt butter and add onion, red bell, and garlic. Saute for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with flour and stir. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Then add egg noodles and return to a boil.
- Cook for 20 minutes, stirring often.
- Add sausage, half and half, and spinach and cook until spinach has wilted and soup is heated through.
- Add pepper to taste.
- Serve topped with Parmesan
I can't get enough of the comfort foods this time of year, like this One Pot White Chicken Lasagna Soup. I highly recommend this Cheeseburger Soup from The Recipe Critic - it's another family favorite that we make often.
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram