No need to stuff and fry/bake egg rolls when you can have all the flavors in soup form!
Just when I think I've made all the soups, I discover a new one that I just have to have. This egg roll soup is the bomb dot com. Like, who doesn't want an egg roll in soup form?! There is none of the hassle (not really sure it's that much of a hassle, but maybe time-consuming) of filling and rolling and cooking egg rolls, but you get all the flavors of it. The meat can be switched as per your liking - I went with the ground pork that the original recipe called for, but turkey, chicken, pork, etc. are all totally fine too. Or maybe you want to go with meatless. It's up to you! The wonton strips can be made homemade or if you are lazy like me, just buy them! We went with the garlic ginger flavored ones because they are SO good!
What you need:
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 small green cabbage, diced
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- Green onions, chopped for garnish
- Wonton strips, for garnish (we used ginger garlic flavor)
- Cook and crumble ground pork in a large stockpot over medium-high heat until lightly browned. Then remove from pot and set aside.
- Add olive oil and onion to the stockpot and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until onion softens.
- Add carrots and garlic to the stockpot and cook for 2 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cabbage, chicken broth, ginger, and cooked pork. Stir.
- Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until carrots and cabbage are tender.
- Stir in vegetable oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve topped with green onions and wonton strips.
Another beautiful deconstructed egg roll dish is this recipe for Budget Egg Roll Rice Bowls from Peppers and Pennies. Again, no fuss with filling and rolling and all that jazz. Although it isn't an egg roll, it has many of the same ingredients as this recipe and that is this Chicken Yakisoba!
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram
Post a Comment