This quick and easy skillet pasta is full of chicken, tomatoes, cheese, and spinach!
It has been such a busy first week of the new year and I'm not even sure what day it is! I can say that I'm definitely looking forward to my routine being back next week. I am happy that I finally get to share this recipe. It was one of those recipes that I lost the picture for last summer in my hard drive failure. So I actually meant to post it months ago. I was not at all bothered to make it again because I love quick and easy recipes. Especially if they are a red sauce pasta dish. Bonus for spinach. :)
What you need:
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 lb. chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 oz) fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 8 oz. uncooked penne pasta
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 bag (5 oz) baby spinach
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large, deep skillet, heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil over medium heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring often.
- Season with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cook until chicken has cooked through. Then remove to a plate ad keep warm.
- Add remaining 1 Tbsp. olive oil to skillet along with onions. Cook for about 3 minutes or until softened and lightly brown.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add broth, tomatoes, penne, crushed red pepper, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir.
- Stir in chicken and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer for 15 minutes or until pasta is tender. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Stir in half and half and mozzarella. Simmer for about 2 minutes until warmed through and cheese has melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in spinach until it wilts.
- Serve topped with Parmesan.
If you're on the hunt for something less Italian (Americanized) and something more Asian-inspired, this (Americanized) Skillet Beef Broccoli Ramen is fabulous. Or if you're craving sausage, this Pasta Skillet with Chicken Sausage, Cheese, and Spinach from Simply Recipes is incredible. It has homemade marinara to boot!
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram