Sweet and sour meatballs with a pineapple surprise in each one!
I'm a sucker for sweet and sour meatball recipes. There is one I make quite frequently, but I really relished at the idea of pineapple stuffed meatballs. I can't think of a better type of meatball - except maybe cheese stuffed ;) The meatballs themselves would be great without pineapple, but I really really enjoyed having the pineapple surprise (but obviously not that big of a surprise because I made them - but you know what I mean) inside each one. The sauce was delish and totally a classic sweet and sour sauce. So basically you cannot go wrong with this recipe. It's great!
The recipe below is the full recipe for 50 meatballs. I halved it and made 25 which worked perfectly for us.
What you need:
For the meatballs:
- 2 large eggs
- 2 lb. ground beef
- 1 cup saltine cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup minced dry onions
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. ginger powder
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 can (20 oz.) pineapple chunks, drained - reserve the juice
- 1 cup reserved pineapple juice, plus some water if needed to make 1 full cup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. hoison sauce
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. Asian sweet red chili sauce
- 2 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 can (20 oz) pineapple chunks, drained
- Cooked brown or white rice
- For the meatballs: add eggs to a large bowl and gently whisk. Then add remaining meatball ingredients except pineapple and mix until combined.
- Shape meat into a large 12x8 inch rectangle. Make 10 by 5 rows of pineapples on top of the rectangle.
- Slice meat in between pineapple and roll to form meatballs with pineapple in the center.
- Place meatballs on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes in a preheated 425 degree oven.
- Place meatballs into the slow cooker with red bell, green bell, and pineapple.
- For the sauce: Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Whisk until smooth while bringing to a boil.
- Then reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Pour sauce over the meatballs.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 2 hours or until cooked through. Stir gently after 1 hour.
- Serve over rice.
The classic Fantastical Sweet 'n Sour Meatballs recipe that frequents my household is definitely a keeper, but I've had these Sweet-Sour Cocktail Meatballs from The Culinary Enthusiast on my to-make list for so long - 7 years, in fact. They look so wonderful!
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram