This breakfast is fruity, nutty, and 100% wonderful.
I am so excited to share this recipe today because it's one that kinda blew my mind. I love oatmeal and I love mixing in fruit ingredients into oatmeal whether it's fresh fruit, yogurt, etc. This was my first time mixing in jam and it was homemade (really easy to do). The toasted oatmeal was amazing and coconut everything was a nice touch.
What you need:
For the strawberry chia jam:
- 1 bag (12 oz.) frozen strawberries
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups + 2 Tbsp. water
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Sea salt
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground ginger
- Shredded coconut
- 1 can (14 oz.) full fat coconut milk, chilled in fridge for at least 10 hours
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- For the jam: combine berries and honey in a medium saucepan. Cover and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring often.
- After about 5 minutes, mash berries with a potato masher or fork.
- Reduce heat to medium low and stir in chia seeds, stirring often, for about 15 to 20 minutes or until jam looks like jam.
- Remove pan from heat and allow to cool.
- For the oatmeal: melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add oats and toast over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 6 to 8 minutes.
- In a large pot, add water, coconut milk, salt, cinnamon, and ginger. Bring to a slow boil.
- Once boiling, add toasted oats and stir gently to combine. Cover and turn off heat.
- After 7 minutes, check oats for consistency. If it's wetter than you prefer, cover and let sit for a few more minutes.
- For the whipped cream: open can from the bottom and pour out coconut water or reserve for another recipe.
- Scoop the coconut cream into a bowl and whip with a hand mixer until fluffy and smooth.
- Add honey and vanilla extract and whip again.
- Serve oats topped with shredded coconut, strawberry chia jam, and whipped coconut cream.
Overnight oats are one of my other favorite things to do with oatmeal and if you're keen to try a recipe, I recommend PB&J Overnight Oats. This Berry No Cook Overnight Oatmeal from Midlife Healthy Living looks like one absolutely tasty recipe.
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin