The perfect, indulgent fall breakfast packed into these sweet apple muffins topped with caramel!
I'm so happy it's finally September. I live for the time when fall comes around each year. It's my favorite season of the year - good weather, good food, my birthday, school starts (loved it as a kid, love it as a parent haha), and did I mention good food?! Bring on all the apples, pumpkin, and comfort food. It seems like fall is just comfort in general and I love that. These muffins are taken from a base muffin mix that Sally of Sally's Baking Addiction shared on her website. She shared tons of mix-in's and I knew I wanted to do the caramel apple version. I love the bits of fresh apple in it. I went the green apple route because I love the tartness!
What you need:
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 to 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups diced, peeled green apple
- Caramel sauce
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until well combined.
- Whisk in buttermilk, vegetable oil, and vanilla.
- Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Do not overmix.
- Fold in diced apples.
- Divide batter into paper tin lined cups of a muffin pan.
- Bake muffins in a preheated 425 degrees for 5 minutes. Then reduce heat to 375 and cook for 25 to 26 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Then drizzle with caramel sauce.
I think these Coffeehouse Coffeecake Muffins are total comfort food for breakfast too. If you're feeling a little on the wild side, these Mini Caramel Apple Cheesecakes from The Girl Who Ate Eveyrthing would be a great breakfast, but if not, definitely still a wonderful after dinner treat.
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin