Pizza and burgers together are a great combination - in addition to pizza toppings, this burger has fried mozzarella half moons too!
Occasionally, Nick will request we make a food he has eaten somewhere. It took forever, but we finally got around to making a copycat for a burger he had at a restaurant in upstate New York where we lived for 7 years. I had never been to the restaurant. I want to say he went for someone's retirement or promotion or PCS or something. I'm not sure. The problem is that when he told me how to make it, he didn't tel me the precise order of ingredients. So my pictures don't match what it should be in its final form. Also, my provolone had molded, so no provolone here. Follow the directions below and eventually I will get more accurate pictures of this fantastic burger!
What you need:
- Half moon slices fresh mozzarella
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Italian breadcrumbs
- 2 lb. ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- 6 Tbsp. marinara sauce
- Pepperoni slices
- 6 provolone slices
- 6 hamburger buns
- Take about 1 cup of flour and place on a plate. Beat 2 eggs in a shallow bowl. Place about 1 cup Italian breadcrumbs on a plate.
- Dip mozzarella moons into flour, then eggs, then Italian breadcrumbs gently pressing to help the crumbs adhere to the cheese.
- Place on a parchment paper lined sheet and refrigerate for an hour at least.
- Form ground beef into 6 patties. Salt and pepper both sides.
- Cook patties in a skillet or on the grill, flip once and top with 1 Tbsp. marinara, a few slices of pepperoni, and a slice of provolone on each patty.
- Meanwhile, fry chilled mozzarella moons until golden brown. Place on a paper towel lined plate.
- Serve with patty on a bun topped with fried mozzarella moons.