This cheddar broccoli soup is hands-down my family's favorite soup. Nothing has come close to beating it!
I have never met a cheddar broccoli soup that I have liked more than this one. It takes the cake. I have wanted to try and replicate the double cheddar sauce because I'm afraid Ragu will stop making it and I won't be able to make my favorite soup anymore. But so far, I have struck out on that venture. Nowadays, I make this without pureeing the veggies and with fresh broccoli and tons of it. Still love it just as much as the first time we had it.
Recipe update 1/23/2011: Another good way to prepare the soup is by puree-ing the soup after adding the broccoli florets into it (you may have to do this in a couple batches). The Panera Broccoli Cheese soup that I tried did that. I personally love the big chunks of broccoli in my soup, but it might be a way to get my 3 y/o to actually eat the broccoli.
Update 9/2/2012: Had to get a new picture of this one. We made it with fresh broccoli for the first time - you can get so much more broccoli using fresh :)
Updated 12/18/2015: Sometimes I am super lazy and don't puree anything at all. It still turns out tasting fabulous and dirties one less contraption in the kitchen!
What you need:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup rib celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cans (13 3/4 oz each) chicken broth ---OR--- about 2 cups of chicken broth made with bouillon cubes
- 1 jar RAGU Cheese Creations Double Cheddar Sauce
- 2 to 3 cups broccoli [if frozen, thaw and drain; if fresh you can steam them prior to adding, if you want]
- Add olive oil to a large saucepan or stockpot and heat over medium.
- Add celery, carrot, and onion and saute for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Place mixture into blender. Fold up a towel and place on top of closed lid and apply pressure while you puree the mixture.
- Chop up broccoli, if needed.
- Add puree back to pot and add Double Cheddar Sauce and broccoli to the soup.
- Cook for 10 more minutes or until heated through and broccoli is cooked to desired tenderness.