This slow cooker chicken is seasoned perfectly for tacos and cooked with fresh pico de gallo!
I don't make a whole lot of chicken recipes for Taco Tuesdays and I especially don't make many chicken taco recipes because I had never really liked chicken tacos until I tried this recipe. It was also my first time making and eating pico de gallo which is now my new favorite thing. The pico makes the chicken super juicy and slow cooking the chicken locks in all the flavors!
For the Crockpot Chicken Tacos:
What you need:
- 1 packet taco seasoning (chicken or regular)
- 3 frozen chicken breasts (I used thawed chicken tenderloins)
- Pico de Gallo (recipe follows)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- Toppings: cheese, sour cream, etc.
- Pour seasoning on the bottom of crockpot.
- Place chicken over seasoning.
- Pour fresh pico de gallo over the top of chicken.
- Pour oil and water over the top - DON'T STIR! Simmer on low for 4 to 6 hours. You can flip halfway through, if desired.
- Shred and serve with favorite taco toppings.
Recipe from Cafemom member MrsF29
For the Pico De Gallo:What you need:
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup sweet onions, chopped
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tbsp. lime juice (I didn't have any, I used lemon)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
- Stir together all ingredients; serve with tortilla chips, on scrambled eggs, as a fat-free salad dressing, etc. [Or in the Crockpot Chicken Tacos recipe above :D]