A fancied up fried chicken recipe with tons of bright lemony flavor and delicious sage to top it off.
Sage is one of my favorite spices, but I don't use it enough and I don't know why! I absolutely could not wait to try this recipe out because it also has lemon with that sage. I was interested in the fried sage leaves, not sure how that would turn out, but it was fantastic! The breaded chicken with lemon wedges and fried sage leaves with a little sauce to top it off...was all so wonderful.
What you need:
- 1 1/4 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thinly sliced chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- All purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 4 sprigs sage
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter.
- Slice breast in half horizontally, then pound with a meat mallet to make thin. If you purchased thinly sliced chicken, skip to step two
- Season each piece of chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add flour to a plate and season with salt. In a bowl, mix together eggs and lemon juice.
- Dredge chicken in flour, then egg mixture.
- Add to skillet and cook until it turns golden brown. Flip chicken then add sage leaves to oil. Cook until done. Remove chicken and sage leaves to a paper towel lined plate.
- Remove excess oil from skillet. Then add wine and chicken broth. Increase heat to medium high.
- When the liquid has reduced by half (around 5 minutes), add butter.
- Serve chicken with sage, sauce, and lemon wedges.
Recipe from Tara's Multicultural Table
More lemon chicken goodness can be found in this recipe for One Pan Parmesan Lemon Chicken and Asparagus. If you like sage and chicken and also really like mushrooms, I highly recommend Chicken Breasts with Mushroom Sage Sauce from Simply Recipes.
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram