These seasonal spiced cookies have a dollop of white chocolate in the middle - seriously wonderful cookies for Christmas!
After the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap ended, Allison of The PinterTest Kitchen and I decided we wanted to host a cookie exchange because it just didn't feel right to not have our yearly cookie exchange! And the Food Blogger Love Cookie Exchange was born.
The premise is that you are matched with 3 bloggers and send each a dozen cookies (and they don't know who has them until they receive their cookies!). In turn, you also receive a dozen cookies from 3 different bloggers. I received Triple Chocolate Biscotti from Fix Me A Little Lunch, shortbread sugar cookies with anise in them (I'll update the recipe title) from That Recipe, and Chocolate Peppermint Crinkle Cookies from Strawberry Blondie Kitchen. I will update later today with the links to the recipes of the cookies I received. I loved each and every one of them. Thank you to everyone who joined in!
I sent a dozen each of these gingerbread thumbprint cookies to Hetal, Megan, and Colleen. I picked out the recipe at the end of October, knowing that I really wanted to make something more holiday-esque. Last year I finally figured out that I wanted all the gingerbread things at Christmas time, so I am making as many gingerbread recipes as I can fit in during the holiday season this year! Originally these cookies were stuffed with dark chocolate, but I went the white chocolate route because I just felt gingerbread and white chocolate go together better.
If you would like to be notified of blogging events like this cookie exchange, please check out the Food Blogger Love group: here.
What you need:
For the cookies:
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 6 Tbsp. vegetable shortening, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsulphured molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- Granulated sugar, for rolling
- 1 cup white chocolate, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp. corn syrup
- In a stand mixer, beat together butter and shortening until smooth. Then add sugar and beat for 1 to 2 minutes until fluffy. Beat in molasses.
- Scrape down sides of mixer bowl and add egg and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, and spices.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to the wet on low speed until just incorporated. Scrape the sides of mixer bowl. Add remaining dry ingredients in two additions. The dough will be thick and slightly sticky.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls, then roll in granulated sugar and then place on a parchment paper or silicone mat-lined baking sheet.
- Using a 1/4 teaspoon or a melon baller, press an indention into each ball gently. You don't want it to crack too much.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 7 to 9 minutes.
- Immediately after removing from oven, press the indention back into the cookie with the 1/4 teaspoon. Let rest on the baking sheet for 10 minutes. Then move to cool on a wire rack.
- Prepare filling by melting chocolate, butter, and corn syrup in a double boiler until smooth.
- Pipe or spoon filling into cookies and let sit at room temperature for 1 hour for chocolate to set.
Recipe adapted from Love and Olive Oil
**Check out the rest of the cookie exchange recipes below**
- Bizcochitos from That Recipe
- Caramel Apple Cookies from For the Love of Food
- Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies from If Spoons Could Talk
- Chai Eggnog Cookies with Rumchata Icing from Chicago Foodie Girl
- Chocolate-Dipped Ginger Cookies from Kate's Recipe Box
- Coffee and Chocolate Shortbread Cookies from Making Miracles
- Cranberry Bliss Cookies from The Emotional Baker
- Crystallized Gingerbread Chocolate Chip Cookies from Faith, Hope, Love, and Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Gingerbread Spritz Cookies from The PinterTest Kitchen
- Gingerbread Thumbprint Cookies from Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Hallongrottor from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Hazelnut Shortbread Cookies from By the Pounds
- Hint of Mint Cocoa Cookies from Chef Sarah Elizabeth
- Lemon Gooey Butter Cookies from The Spiffy Cookie
- Mint Cheesecake Cookies from Cook with 5 Kids
- Nutty Florentine Cookies from The PinterTest Kitchen
- Oatmeal Cookies with Chocolate Chunks and Butterscotch from Jennifer Bakes
- Peppermint Crinkle Cookies from Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Pumpkin Ginger Snaps from Burnt Apple
- Ricotta Christmas Cookies from The Saucy Southerner
- Salted Caramel Kahlua Sugar Cookies from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Shortbread Cookies from Our Good Life
- Soft Chewy Cranberry White Chocolate Chip Cookies from Blogghetti
- Spiced Molasses Cookies from Sarah Cooks the Books
- Triple Chocolate Biscotti from Fix Me a Little Lunch
- Vanilla Mint Cake Mix Cookies from The Recipe Revival
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Molasses Cookies from The Baking Fairy
- White Chocolate and Cardamom Cookies from Milk and Cardamom
Cookies are great but cookies in bar form is the BEST! These Gingerbread Cookie Bars are wonderfully chewy and topped with the loveliest cream cheese frosting ever. When I think of Christmas, chocolate covered cherries come to mind and I love these little Cherry Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies from The Kitchen Is My Playground.
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram
Post a Comment