This skillet meal is made better by the addition of roasted potatoes and loads of kale!
About two years ago, I reviewed the 101 One-Dish Dinners cookbook. Out of the recipes that I made from the cookbook, this skillet dish was outright the favorite recipe for everyone in my family. I made it multiple times in a short period of time after first making it and then it became a regular meal in the meal plan rotation. It's on a one skillet meal or a recipe that can be made in under 30 minutes, but it is close enough to both of those things to make me a happy camper.
The potatoes are roasted in the oven while the other ingredients are prepped in a skillet. Once the potatoes are done, they are added in and there's not much else to do. I love how much kale is in this recipe and I also really love the addition of beans to it.
What you need:
- 1 1/2 lb. red potatoes, diced into small cubes
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb. sweet or hot ground Italian sausage
- 1 onion, diced
- 8 cups chopped fresh kale
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (15 oz.) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Toss potatoes, 2 Tbsp. oil, garlic, oregano, and salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Spread onto an greased aluminum foil-lined baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 25 minutes.
- Heat remaining 1 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add sausage and onion and saute until sausage is browned and crumbled, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in the broth and half the kale. Cook and stir until kale wilts.
- Add the rest of the kale. Cover and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in beans and potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
Another great sausage recipe is for these Pesto Zucchini Boats - perfect use for the summer squash! If you're in the mood for some soup, this Smoked Sausage, Kale, and Potato Soup from Diethood looks absolutely wonderful!
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram