This lasagna is easy to throw together and has zucchini and bacon which is way better than regular lasagna in my opinion.
My family is not really largely amazed by lasagna. We rarely eat it. However, because I know that a good recipe can turn me into a fan of foods I previously did not like, I have a few saved to try. This one seemed like it could be a keeper because of the lack of ricotta cheese. I think, personally, that is the reason why we don't like lasagna. I can't say that zucchini and bacon weren't also selling points for this recipe. It was a pretty easy recipe to throw together and did not take hours like some lasagnas can. It seems like everyone really enjoyed it too.
What you need:
For the lasagna:
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, plus some
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper
- 1 cup marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded smoked mozzarella cheese
- 4 oven ready lasagna noodles
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- Salt and pepper
- Combine zucchini, garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper into a bowl. Toss to coat and then roast in an 8x8-inch pan for 15 minutes in a preheated 400 degree oven.
- Place roasted zucchini back into the bowl and combine with 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, Parmesan, bacon, egg, salt, and pepper and set aside.
- For the bechamel sauce: melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add flour and whisk for about 3 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and a dash of nutmeg.
- Pour into the bottom of the 8x8-inch pan.
- Top with 2 lasagna noodles, zucchini, 2 more lasagna noodles, marinara, smoked mozzarella, and a little more Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes or until heated through and sauce is bubbly.
- Then uncover and bake for about 15 minutes or until cheese turns golden. Rest for 10 minutes then serve.
I have to admit that I tend to prefer lasagna roll ups more than lasagna. My favorite roll up recipe is Chicken Bacon Alfredo Roll Ups which features my favorite alfredo sauce of all time. Another lasagna recipe we want to try is Deluxe Imo's Pizza Lasagna Roll Ups from Daily Dish Recipes (no ricotta in it either!).
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin