These slow cooker meatballs taste like the best salisbury steak ever - no tv dinner salisbury here!
I don't make a lot of salisbury steak because I was basically traumatized by the school lunch salisbury steak and the tv dinner salisbury steak. Neither are good. Neither are even the least bit palatable. I have made homemade salisbury steak and really enjoyed it, so I was happy to try a version of it as meatballs. I grew up eating a lot of dishes with meatballs. I loved when my mom made scalloped potatoes with meatballs instead of ham. This recipe had me expecting very similar vibes to that and I was right. I love the gravy and onion bits with the meatballs
What you need:
- 2 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup minced onions
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 2/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 4 Tbsp. tomato paste, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp. mustard powder
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Mashed potatoes, pasta, or rice for serving
- Heat 1 tsp. oil in a skillet over medium high heat and cook onions until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Divide into two portions.
- In a large bowl, mix together half of the sauteed onions with beef, turkey, bread crumbs, egg, 2 Tbsp. tomato paste, 1/2 cup beef broth, and salt and pepper to taste.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and 2 cups broth until smooth.
- Then add remaining onions, 2 Tbsp. tomato paste, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard powder.
- Shape into 40 small meatballs.
- Place into crockpot and pour sauce over the top.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
- Serve over the top of mashed potatoes, pasta, or rice.
This Salisbury Steak recipe from Family Feast looks so mouthwateringly fantastic. It uses a mix of three types of meat. Meatballs seemed time-consuming to me when I was a kid, but they really can be made in under 30 minutes if you bake them (including prep time) and that's why I love these Mediterranean Meatball Gyro Sandwiches. Plus the tomato cucumber salsa and homemade tzatziki sure don't hurt at all.
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin