Today's #SundaySupper theme is Warming Trends and is hosted by T.R. of Gluten Free Crumbley. It's all about dishes that warm you down to your toes. Of course, the first thing I thought of was soup and I just so happen to have plenty of soup recipes sitting as drafts in my Blogger dashboard. This particular soup is one I've been meaning to post for weeks. I actually cannot take credit for making this one - Nick did!
I planned to make this a few days before I was due to have Mason (on Wednesday - our soup night), thinking that my little guy would be punctual and be born on his due date just like Matthew & Cami were. However, I ended up having real labor contractions on Sunday - that like with the other two, stopped, so on Monday, I got my little kickstart and had Mason early Tuesday morning. So I had to stay in the hospital and I knew I was going to miss soup night and I knew I was going to miss this soup. So I begged Nick to wait for me and not make it until I got home. He graciously agreed and made it on Thursday evening, my first day home from the hospital.
Even though my hospital food was very very good, a homecooked meal was even better. It was February and the kids had been missing a ton of school due to snow days. So that made this soup an even more perfect meal! We used hot Italian sausage as recommended that gives it a little spicy heat in addition to the already lovely warmth that is that actual soup itself. This is sure to warm you up and it tastes just like the real thing from Olive Garden!
What you need:
- 1 lb. hot Italian sausage
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 red bell pepper, diced finely
- 1 to 2 bunches kale, stems removed and chopped
- 1 lb. potato gnocchi
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper
- Parmesan cheese, shaved or shredded
- Bacon bits
- In a large stockpot, brown Italian sausage with diced onion. Stir and crumble as you go.
- Add chicken broth and red bell pepper. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Once simmering, reduce heat to medium low and add kale and gnocchi and stir.
- Cook for 5 more minutes or until gnocchi is cooked fully.
- Add heavy cream and stir. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve topped with Parmesan and bacon bits.
Recipe from Gimme Some Oven
- Drunken Pumpkin Spice Latte by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Hot Mulled Caramel Apple Sangria by The Crumby Cupcake
- Mexican Atole by Curious Cuisiniere
- Gluten Free Hot Spiked Apple Cider by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Apple Pear Crisp by The Freshman Cook
- Bananas Foster by Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Hazelnut Lava Cake by Brunch with Joy
- Fudge Pudding Cake by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Honeycrisp Apple Tart by The Redhead Baker
- Pumpkin Cheesecake in Pumpkins by Desserts Required
- Warm Cardamom and Coconut Rice Pudding by Fearless Dining
- Beef Brats and Beans Soup by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Beef Pot Pie with Herbed Biscuits by From Gate to Plate
- Best Ever White Bean and Mushroom Soup by Pancake Warriors
- Braised Venison with Plums by Food Lust People Love
- Butternut Squash Chili by Amee's Savory Dish
- Butternut Squash Risotto with Pears and Sage by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Carbonnade Flamande by Tara's Multicultural Table
- Classic Italian Meat Sauce by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Creamy Cauliflower Broccoli Cheese Soup by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Hearty Chickpea Soup by The Food Hunter's Guide to Cuisine
- Creamy Stove-Top Alfredo with Bacon and Green Beans by Peaceful Cooking
- Crockpot Creamy Chicken and Noodles by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Curry Debal by Palatable Pastime
- Easy Sweet Potato Soup by Healing Tomato
- Easy Zuppa Toscana Soup Copycat by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- French Onion Soup by Grumpy's Honeybunch
- Gingered Butternut Squash Soup by Noshing With The Nolands
- Hearty Turkey Lentil Soup by A Gouda Life
- Hearty Vegetable Beef Soup by Party Food and Entertaining
- Mango Habanero Sauce by What Smells So Good?
- Oxtail Stew by Nosh My Way
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting by Serena Bakes Simply from Scratch
- Red Lentil Soup by My San Francisco Kitchen
- Roasted Squash Soup by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Turkey Enchilada Casserole with Salsa Verde by Food Done Light
- Slow Cooker English Roast by Wholistic Woman
- Slow Cooker Lamb Rogan Josh by Caroline's Cooking
- Easy Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Mushroom Gravy by Feeding Big
- Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili by Renee's Kitchen Adventures
- Spice Rubbed Braised Beef by FamFriendsFood
- Spicy Meatball Tortilla Soup by The Weekend Gourmet
- Sweet Potato Soup with Bacon by Cooking Chat
- Turkey Chipotle Chili by The Complete Savorist
- Tuscan White Bean Soup with Ham by Big Bear's Wife
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram