These Philly cheesesteaks are topped with colorful bell peppers and a yummy Velveeta cheese sauce.
It's time for another Sunday Supper event and this event is for Big Game Day Party recipes, hosted by D.R. of Gluten Free Crumbley. While we don't watch a lot of football much anymore, we enjoy game day foods. In past years, we have gotten together with our friends and watched the Super Bowl together and snacked on all sorts of delicious foods. I think pizza and subs are quintessential game day foods, but I can also see Philly cheesesteaks being served up for a "main dish" when there's a crowd of hungry football fans around.
I wasn't a huge fan of Philly cheesesteaks until around 2010. Nick loves them and because I will never NOT make something just because I don't like it --- I ended up finding some recipes for cheesesteaks to try out. I didn't expect to like any of the recipes, but I was making them for him, not me. However, I DID find a recipe and I devoured my sandwich and went back for seconds. From then on, I haven't turned down a cheesesteak.
This particular recipe comes from one of my favorites - Ree Drummond! I swear I'm not super picky, but I don't really care for Velveeta. I didn't expect to be blown away by a Velveeta cheese sauce - especially over traditional provolone. But...I devoured my sandwich. The Velveeta is exactly what this sandwich needs. It was such a flavorful sauce and it had the perfect texture to go with the meat and veggies. I also just adore that there are three different colors of sweet peppers in this sandwich. It looks so pretty and colorful!
Do y'all eat a main dish for game day or do you snack on appetizers?
What are YOUR favorite game day foods?
What you need:
- 8 oz. White Velveeta, cut into cubes
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup milk
- Hot sauce
- 6 Tbsp. salted butter
- 6 whole wheat hoagie rolls
- 1 1/2 lbs thinly sliced deli roast beef, sliced into thin strips
- Italian seasoning
- 1 yellow onion, sliced in thick strips
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced in thick strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced in thick strips
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced in thick strips
- Combine Velveeta, black pepper, cayenne, milk, and a few dashes of hot sauce in a small saucepan. Melt, stirring occasionally, over low heat. Keep warm while you make the filling and brown the rolls.
- Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Open the hoagie rolls and brown them.
- Add 2 Tbsp. butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add roast beef with a few dashes of hot sauce plus Italian seasoning to taste and cook until heated through. Remove to a plate and keep warm.
- Add remaining 2 Tbsp. butter in the same skillet. Add onions and peppers. Cook veggies over medium-low heat until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Build sandwiches by adding roast beef to hoagies. Smother in cheese sauce. Then top with veggies. Serve immediately.
Recipe from The Pioneer Woman
Appetizers and Sides
- Atomic Buffalo Turds by Wholistic Woman
- Avocado Egg Rolls by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Bacon Wrapped Potato Wedges by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Buttermilk Battered Chicken Wings by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Cajun Okra Fries by Food Lust People Love
- Cheddar Sausage Balls by Tramplingrose
- Cheese Board and Baguettes Make for the Start of a Great Game Day Feast by Delaware Girl Eats
- Cheesy Crabmeat Canapés by Meal Planning Magic
- Cheesy Sausage Dip by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Chicken Fajita Nachos by Sweet Mornings
- Chipotle-Ranch Chicken Wings by Casa de Crews
- Corn Dog Muffins by Noshing With The Nolands
- Crock-Pot Bean Dip by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Deep Fried Pimento Cheese and Celery Bites by Granny’s Down Home Sassy Southern Cooking
- Dill Pickle Dip by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Fish Taquitos by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gluten Free Asian Sweet Chili Wings by Flippin’ Delicious
- Healthy Guacamole Recipe by Real Food Real Deals
- Hogs in a blanket by Cooking on the Ranch
- Hot Pork Roll and Cheese Dip by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Nacho Waffle Fries by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Patatas Pobres for a Crowd by Lydia’s Flexitarian Kitchen
- Pepperoni Pizza Bites by Family Foodie
- Philly Cheesesteak Sliders by Daily Dish Recipes
- Pimento Cheese-Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Dates by The Healthy Fit Foodie
- Rajas by Pook’s Pantry
- Roasted Broccoli Artichoke Dip by Cooking Chat
- Slow Cooker Thai Wings by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Smoky Blender Salsa by What Smells So Good?
- Southwestern Eggroll Cups by A Gouda Life
- Southwestern Flatbread and a “Design Your Own Flatbread” Table by The Freshman Cook
- Spicy Szechuan Shrimp Lettuce Cups by Palatable Pastime
- Sweet and Spicy Hummus by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Texas Caviar by Books n’ Cooks
- Tex-Mex Egg Rolls by Cookin’ Mimi
- Thai Beef Taco Bites by Brunch-n-Bites
- Three Cheese Macaroni Bites by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- BBQ Pulled Pork Sliders With Tangy Warm Cabbage Slaw by Taste And See
- Buffalo Chicken Chili by Monica’s Table
- Cheeseburger Pizza by Life Tastes Good
- Cheesy Cheesesteaks by Family Around The Table
- Emeril’s Chicken and Andouille Gumbo by The Texan New Yorker
- Game Day Chili by Our Good Life
- Handy Beef Buns by Get the Good Stuff
- Lahmacun – Turkish flatbread by Caroline’s Cooking
- New Jersey Sloppy Joe by kimchi MOM
- Pizza Pasta Bake by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pork Italiano Sandwich by The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Puerto Rican Pernil (Garlic Roast Pork) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Ree’s Philly Cheesesteaks by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Slow Cooker Italian Sausage Cheese Bombers by Kitchen Gidget
- Spicy Tuna Croquette Sliders with Avocado Pesto by The Crumby Cupcake
- Chocolate Football Cookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cinnamon Sugar Chex Mix by Pies and Plots
- Game Day Mocktails by Beauty and the Beets
- Gluten Free Football Potato Candy by Gluten Free Crumbley
- S’more Poutine by Desserts Required
- Super Duper Peanut Butter Cup Popcorn by Only Taste Matters
- Plus Big Game Party Recipes plus Sausage and Peppers Over Cheesy Grits by Sunday Supper Movement
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram
stop by my amazon store to see my kitchen must-haves