I absolutely love chili, but I've never really found a recipe for regular chili that makes me go "WOW!" and want to tell everyone about it. I do love our non-regular chili: Skyline and Jalapeno Popper Turkey Chili...but I think it's important to have a normal beef and bean chili recipe too. I did not have any real expectations going into this recipe. I've tried quite a few chili recipes only to be disappointed or underwhelmed by the results.
But man oh man! This recipe definitely surprised me! I'm not sure why it's called famous, but I have to assume it's because somewhere along the line the friends of the recipe creator were like "You HAVE to try Lulabelle's famous chili!!"...yep. I'm gonna go ahead and say the recipe creator's name is Lulabelle. ;)
Although it is warming up for the summer (we've had days of 50s here in New York, but I know some of y'all are in the 80s and 90s - jealous!!), I still enjoy a bowl of chili on a rainy cooler summer day.
What you need:
- 3 lb. ground beef
- 2 cans (14.5 oz.) petite diced tomatoes
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 can (30 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) chili beans
- 2 cups water
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. oregano
- Toppings: sour cream, cheese, green onions, etc.
- In a large stock pot or dutch oven, brown ground beef in a little olive oil. Add onions and let soften up a little while ground beef is finishing browning. Drain if necessary.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili beans, and water. Simmer for one hour, stirring every once in a while.
- Add seasonings and simmer for another two hours, stirring every once in a while.
- Serve topped with sour cream, cheese, green onions, etc.
Recipe from Julie's Eats & Treats
facebook | twitter | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram