This recipe is classic comfort in casserole form - the meatballs are positively supreme!
I'm back again for another round of the Sunday Supper movement. This week's theme is MEATBALLS and hosted by the lovely Sue of A Palatable Pastime. I used to stay away from any recipes that contained meatballs because I was scared to make them for fear of them being cooked on the outside and completely raw on the inside. I finally put on my big girl pants and tried a recipe where the meatballs are baked and I never looked back. Baking meatballs is by far the easiest and most foolproof method that I have come across.
Now you may have noticed that in my title of the recipe, I put "chicken"...I still am not brave enough to try ground chicken. The thought just kind of repulses me. So basically any recipe that calls for ground chicken gets substituted into ground turkey. I don't really have a rhyme or reason for my freak-outed-ness for ground chicken, but ground turkey is a great substitute and I love it.
This recipe is fairly simple to put together and a lot of the preparing is just sitting and waiting for things to get out of the oven, so it's great for a night where you are a tad bit busy, but still have a little bit of time to make dinner not out of a box. Even though there's really more pasta than anything, the meatballs are easily the star. It's so hard for me to not pick the meatballs out while scooping up the dish onto plates. They are just so good!
What you need:
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 cup Italian panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 lb. campanelle pasta
- 1 jar (24 oz.) pasta or marinara sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- Cook pasta in salted boiling water about 1 minute under al dente according to the package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, prepare the meatballs by mixing turkey, breadcrumbs, egg, Parmesan, and milk in a large bowl. Form into golf ball sized meatballs.
- Bake on a baking sheet in the oven at 450* for 10 to 15 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Stir together cooked pasta, marinara, and 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Spread in a greased 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Top with meatballs, the rest of the mozzarella cheese, and sprinkle with Italian seasoning.
- Bake at 350* for about 20 minutes or until cheese melts.
Recipe slightly adapted from Buns in my Oven
But wait, there are more meatball recipes to check out from the Sunday Supper Movement below!!
- Bacon Wrapped Cheesy Meatballs with Maple Balsamic Sauce from The Crumby Cupcake
- Cheesy Stuffed Pepperoni Pizza Meatballs from The Weekend Gourmet
- Crab Cake Mini Meatballs with Tartar Sauce from The Texan New Yorker
- Garlicky Shrimp Meatballs from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Grilled Korean Meatballs from Palatable Pastime
- Saucy Thai Meatballs from Brunch-n-Bites
- Slow Cooker Turkey Appetizer Jelly Meatballs from Noshing With The Nolands
- Stuffed Meatballs from The Freshman Cook
- Tofu Nuggets from NinjaBaker
- Turkey Meatballs in Orange Sauce from Pine Needles In My Salad
- Turkey Meatballs with Spinach and Goat Cheese from Our Good Life
- Russian Meatball Soup from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- All-Purpose Meatballs from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Baked Meatballs with Swiss Chard from And She Cooks
- Bourbon Baked Bean Meatballs from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Cheesy Italian Meatball Sandwich from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Chicken Parmesan Meatball Casserole from Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Deep Dish Skillet Meatball Pizza from From Gate to Plate
- Fightin’ Irish Balls from Monica’s Table
- General Tso’s Chicken Meatballs from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grandma’s Italian Meatball Subs from Family Around The Table
- Hamballs from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Kefta Mkaouara (Moroccan Meatballs Tagine) from Curious Cuisiniere
- Keftedakia (Greek-style Meatballs) from Tramplingrose
- Kofte-Style Lamb Meatballs in a Tomato-Pepper Sauce from Caroline’s Cooking
- Meatball Subs from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Moroccan Lamb Meatballs in Tomato Sauce from MyGourmetConnection
- Orecchiette and Meatball Skillet Dinner from Momma’s Meals
- Persian Lamb Meatballs from Food Lust People Love
- Portuguese Meatballs in Garlicky Wine Sauce from Family Foodie
- Roasted Vegetable Meatballs from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Slow Cooker Meatball Ranch Stroganoff from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Spanish Meatballs from The Chef Next Door
- Sriracha Sesame Turkey Meatballs from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Sun Dried Tomato & Bulgarian Feta Chicken Meatballs over Lemon-Spinach Orzo From Simply Healthy Family
- Swedish Meatballs (Frikadeller) from Feeding Big
- Swedish Meatballs with Zucchini Ribbons from Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Sweet & Sour Freezer to Slow-Cooker Meatballs from Wholistic Woman
- Tajine-el-Khoukh (Algerian Stuffed Peaches) from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Thai Meatball Lettuce Wraps from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Thai Spaghetti and Meatballs from Kitchen Gidget
- Thai Red Curry Meatballs with Coconut Curry Sauce from kimchi MOM
- Ultimate Pasta & Meatballs from MealDiva
- Brownie Meatballs with Frosting Spaghetti from Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram
stop by my amazon store to see my kitchen must-haves