This cheesy quinoa goodness only takes 3 1/2 hours to cook in the crockpot!
My crockpot is probably one of my favorite kitchen appliances. I love being able to make meals in it. It's not just dinner either - side dishes, desserts, breakfasts....the crockpot can make them all. Well, I can make them all IN my crockpot, but y'all know what I mean!
One thing that I really adore about quinoa is its way of taking on the flavor of what it's cooked with. The enchilada sauce and all the other goodies, like the Rotel and cumin, are all soaked into the quinoa while it all slow cooks away in the crockpot and you get this incredible recipe with a punch of flavor in each bite. The textures are all so wonderful together and it would be perfect to reheat and serve up on a tortilla the next day - since it just keeps on getting better tasting as it "sits".
What you need:
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked quinoa
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can Rotel
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup water
- 2 cans (10 oz. each) red enchilada sauce
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime
- Sour cream
- Green onion, diced
- Brown ground turkey in a skillet, drain, if needed. Put into the slow cooker.
- Then add quinoa, beans, corn, Rotel, salsa, garlic, onion, and orange bell pepper.
- Add water, enchilada sauce, chili powder, and cumin. Stir well.
- Cook on HIGH for 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
- Stir in cheese and cilantro. Squeeze the lime over the top.
- Serve topped with sour cream and green onions.
Recipe from Chelsea's Messy Apron
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram