This spicy comfort meal has peppers galore with corn, cauliflower, and tons of cheese!
Because we have a weekly soup night, my obsessive hoarding of recipes sometimes focuses on new soup recipes. Not that I don't already have plenty of soup "keepers" already, but I just love trying new recipes. So I'm still pinning new ones and finding new ones in my Food Network magazines to try. I was pumped to try this one out. We don't eat cauliflower a lot - not because we don't like it, but because it doesn't really show up in many recipes. I was happy that there was cauliflower AND corn in this soup and it turned out so well. It's one of my all-time favorite soups. It also looked so pretty in my soup mug!
And soup mugs are quickly becoming my new coffee mugs. I have a billion coffee mugs and can't help but buy new ones when I see cute ones. Soup mugs are dangerous too. When I was little, my family had ones that were really similar to the style of the ones my Jalapeno Popper Soup is in, but they had recipes for onion soup, mushroom soup, chicken soup, and tomato soup. We had four and I always snatched up the onion soup one because I didn't like the other three soups...although I had never had onion soup. I really just loved the way the onions looked on it. I tried to find them, but couldn't and I ended up buying four mugs that looked similar to that style. Very retro, vintage looking. Then I ended up caving on these Crockpot brand huge soup bowls. They are the BEST. I have six of them. Don't fall down the Amazon soup bowl hole...don't do it...now I want these soup bowls that just say soup on them and these that have a slot on the side for crackers. I need them in my life! It's honestly such a good thing that I'm not an impulse shopper. Anyways, whether you have bowls just for soup or not, this soup is fantastic!
What you need:
- 1 Tbsp. salted butter
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 to 4 jalapeno peppers, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- Pinch of cumin
- 4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- Real bacon bits, for garnish
- Cheddar cheese, for garnish
- 1 jalapeno, sliced in rounds, for garnish
- In a large stockpot, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add bell peppers and onion. Saute for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add jalapenos and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Then add corn and cauliflower. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over the top and cook until it is lightly browned.
- Turn up to medium heat, slowly whisk in chicken broth and milk. Bring to a simmer and add seasonings.
- Simmer for 15 minutes or until cauliflower is fork tender.
- Then add cream cheese and stir until it melts and is smooth and creamy.
- Remove from heat. Serve in bowls topped with bacon bits, cheddar cheese, and jalapeno rounds.
Recipe from Life Made Simple
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram