Who says you can't make a damn good burrito bowl at home?!
Along with smoothie bowls, I think burrito bowls have taken over the food world. I get the appeal and love burrito bowls myself. I was drawn to this particular recipe because it offered a homemade cream sauce to top the bowl off. Of course, I was the only one in the family who had the sauce, but that's fine. More for me is the best!
The original recipe is vegetarian, but the recipe maker said you could add a protein. I went the chicken route because I feel like we don't eat a lot of chicken for Taco Tuesdays. Steak or beef would be so fabulous in this as well. BUT if you are a vegetarian, this would still be a great recipe without meat. I urge y'all to try this out for your next Taco Tuesday night!
What you need:
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp. chipotles in adobo sauce, diced
- 1 clove minced garlic
- Juice of one lime
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 chicken breasts, cubed
- Baja citrus marinade (Or something similar - you could even use taco seasoning)
- Olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked rice (I used Minute brown rice)
- 1 cup salsa
- 3 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 can (15.25 oz) corn, drained
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
- Make chipotle cream sauce by whisking sour cream with chiptoles, garlic, lime juice, and salt. Chill in fridge.
- Make marinade and add cubed chicken. Marinate chicken in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Add a tablespoon or so of olive oil into a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook through.
- Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions. Once cooked, add salsa and stir.
- How to assemble bowls: divide rice between serving dishes and top with lettuce, corn, black beans, tomatoes, and cilantro. Top with chipotle cream sauce.
Recipe slightly adapted from Damn Delicious
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram