The perfect recipe for soup night to warm you up once it starts to get chilly outside!
The very first recipe I posted on my blog in 2010 was Cheddar Broccoli Soup. It's a special recipe and I am so glad it was my very first one. It's one that I've been making for years on end. It is my eldest child's favorite food [tied with calzones] and really everyone loves it. The only thing that I am weary about is that it takes precanned cheese sauce and I'm scared that one day it will be discontinued and then I won't know what to do! While this recipe is not a dupe for that recipe, it is definitely sufficient and we all really loved it. There is an option to mash the broccoli florets but we like the big ole hunks of them! I seriously have been blessed with kiddos who love broccoli as much as Nick and I do :)
What you need:
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 large shallot, diced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk (I used whole)
- 3 cups broccoli florets, chopped finely
- 8 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese, plus some
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, melt butter. Add carrots and shallots. Season with salt and pepper to taste and saute for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add flour and whisk while cooking for about 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in chicken broth making sure it's smooth and not lumpy before adding more.
- Add milk. Season with more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Raise heat to medium high to bring to a simmer.
- Then turn heat back to medium and cook for 10 minutes. Stir on occasion.
- Add broccoli and let simmer for 20 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese in batches. Making sure it is smooth before adding more.
- Salt and pepper, if needed. Serve with additional shredded cheese on top.
Recipe from Iowa Girl Eats
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram