This delish Chinese-American recipe is slow cooked in a garlic sauce and crunchy cashews!
This cashew chicken is very easy to make and is a wonderful Chinese-American dish. I chose to add my cashews at serving, so they maintained their crunch. You can throw them into the slow cooker at any point during cooking though. It's totally up to you. I have tried a few cashew chicken recipes and this is definitely my favorite. If I could change one thing, it would be to top it with fresh green onions for serving. The other recipes I've tried had onions and I think that is the only thing missing.
What you need:
- 2 lb. chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 4 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 4 Tbsp. ketchup
- 2 Tbsp. sweet chili sauce
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 cup unsalted cashews
- Cooked white or brown rice for serving
- In a gallon size plastic baggie, combine cornstarch and black pepper. Add chicken and shake to coat.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat and brown chicken on each side. Then add to slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mix together soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup, sweet chili sauce, sugar, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes. Pour over chicken.
- Cook on LOW for 3 to 4 hours.
- Serve over rice with cashews on top.
Although it's not Asian-American cuisine, I do love this garlicky lemony Crockpot Chicken, Green Beans, and Potatoes recipe. I think this Thai Chicken Stir Fry from Lemon and Cheese looks really delicious.
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram