The crust on this pork schnitzel is crispy, crunchy, and salty and is served up with cheesy herby potatoes topped with peas!
We love schnitzel and have been testing out different variations to see which we like best. This particular recipe does not use breadcrumbs, but saltine cracker crumbs. I feel like it is lighter and crunchier. It makes for a very fabulous crust. This particular recipe was served up with a side of cheesy potatoes. The FN Magazine recipe had a cheese spread of some sort, I subbed it for a cream cheese spread and cheddar cheese. It's so awesome to have a whole meal in "one" recipe and it can all be made in under 30 minutes.
What you need:
- 4 small russet potatoes
- 1 sleeve saltine crackers
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, plus some for frying
- 4 thin sliced pork chops
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1 container garlic and herbs cream cheese spread
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Lemon wedges
- Pierce potatoes with a fork and then microwave for 12 to 15 minutes until tender. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, pulse crackers until finely ground. Then move to a shallow dish or plate and mix with paprika and ground pepper.
- Add eggs to shallow bowl.
- Add enough olive oil to a large skillet to be 3/4 inch deep. Heat over medium high heat.
- Season pork with salt and pepper. Dredge in eggs and then cracker crumbs.
- Fry pork until golden on each side. Drain on a wire rack and then season with salt.
- Cook peas in microwave or saucepan. Drain, if needed, and toss with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Halve potatoes lengthwise all the way or part of the way. Mash with a fork and then add a little garlic and herb cream cheese spread and cheddar cheese. Let melt slightly and top with peas.
- Serve with pork and lemon wedges.
Our go-to for schnitzel is this recipe for Perfectly Made Schnitzel - it's very simple and very delicious! And I would love to try this variation from Where is my spoon? that uses chicken, Chicken Schnitzel with Potato Parmesan Crust.
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram