Welcome to another Food Fight! Fantastical Food Fight is a group of food bloggers who will get a theme or ingredient each month and make some sort of variation for it. It could be traditional or nontraditional and can be found in a cookbook, on a blog, or be a blogger's own creation! For more details, check out this page.The month of February has a ton of foodie holidays. It is national cherry month, potato lover's month, canned food month, and most importantly celebration of chocolate month. To celebrate chocolate with our monthly food fight, our February Food Fight theme is CHOCOLATE COVERED TREATS. I love treats dunked and covered in chocolate and thought that even though it is now past Valentine's Day, it would still be a great theme with lots of variety!
For my treat, I decided to share these chocolate-dipped sugar cookies that are also topped with more chocolate and some toffee bits too! Because chocolate-covered cookies just sound like the best cookies, right?! While I do love chocolate chip cookies a ton, you can't beat a good sugar cookie. The sugar cookie recipe is fantastic and the little touch of chocolate and toffee is impeccable. I am so excited to see what other chocolate covered treats are linked below from my fellow Food Fighters!
What you need:
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 extra large egg
- 1 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips or melting bits
- 1 Tbsp. shortening
- Toffee bits
- Almond bark
- Cream butter with sugar until light and fluffy around 2 minutes.
- Add egg and almond extract and beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and beat until combined.
- Chill dough for 30 minutes.
- Roll to 1/4-inch thin and cut into desired shapes. I used a flower cookie cutter. Place onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Let cool on pan for 5 minutes and then finish cooling on wire racks.
- Melt dark chocolate chips with shortening in the microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval until chocolate is smooth.
- Dip half of each cooled cookie into the melted chocolate. Sprinkle dipped side with toffee bits while chocolate is still wet.
- Let chocolate set before melting almond bark in a zipper baggie in the microwave in 30 second increments.. Knead the bag between increments until the almond bark is completely melted.
- Snip a small corner off the baggie and "pipe" over the top of the cookie. Let set before serving.
And last month's Food Fight winner is Slow Cooker Cheesy Potato and Smoked Sausage Soup from Cheese Curd in Paradise! Congrats to Ashley because that soup looks so so good!
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram