Savory chicken pot pie in soup form - all the comfort of pot pie without the crust!
I do not like pot pie. Really, I don't like the pie crust of any pie...sweet or savory. Pie crust is gross. However, everybody else in the family likes pot pie and I don't want to be the one person who dictates what food we do and don't have based on what I like and dislike. I was raised to eat what was on the dinner table and not complain about it. In fact, for years my mom-in-law had no idea I hated chicken and dumplings because I always ate it when she fixed it and thanked her for dinner. Anyone else do that? Am I a weirdo? LOL
I have been very open to trying different recipes because I actually have come to like lots of new foods this way. For example, I never ate alfredo (or rather liked it) before I made it homemade. I hated Philly Cheesesteaks as a kid...now I love them so much! I thought that this soup sounded delicious because it took away the nasty pie crust part of pot pie...and I was so right! It is a delicious soup. It's definitely perfect for a busy day's dinner and it's still got all the comforting goodness of a pot pie! Nick and the kids also really loved it because it does still have that pot pie taste to it.
What you need:
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded or diced
- 1 pkg (16 oz.) frozen mixed vegetables
- 3/4 tsp. ground pepper
- 1 can (10.75 oz.) cream of potato soup
- 1 can (10.75 oz.) cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups milk
- Refrigerated jumbo biscuits
- Fresh or dried parsley, for topping, if desired
- Heat olive oil in a stockpot over medium heat. Add onion and saute until softened.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add celery, chicken, frozen veggies, pepper, soups, and milk. Heat through.
- Meanwhile, bake biscuits.
- Serve soup in a bowl topped with a warm biscuit and parsley.
I think this chicken pot pie soup reminds me so much of a casserole dish that I have made a million times, so if you like this, check out Easy Chicken & Biscuits. But if you would like a traditional pot pie recipe, I suggest Ree Drummond's because she hasn't let me down yet, so I'm sure this Pot Pie recipe is great.
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram