The classic combination of corned beef and cabbage made into a soup in the crockpot!
Because St. Patrick's Day is coming up...I'm craving all things corned beef and cabbage related. In fact on Monday we had Corned Beef Hash for dinner and it was delicious. I think I have slowly gotten my family acquainted with and okay with having cabbage in meals. It makes me incredibly happy because I love cabbage. I feel like my mom made it a lot when I was a kid. When I first met my stepdad's parents, my grandma made pigs in a blanket -- what she called cabbage rolls -- and oh my gosh. I wish she were still alive to teach me how to make them because I have never found a recipe close to hers and I will never forget what they taste like even though it has been 15+ years since I have had them.
This Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup is a crockpot meal and super easy to fix. You just chop up your ingredients and throw them into your crockpot -- no precooking anything, no having to add any ingredients 30 minutes before cooking, etc. Throw them in and let them go until dinnertime.
What you need:
- 1 lb. cooked corned beef, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 small head cabbage, sliced into bite size pieces
- 1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 bottle (12 oz.) dark beer
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Ground pepper
- 3/4 cup white rice
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Combine all ingredients in slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Season with more salt and pepper if needed before serving.
While I am unable to recreate my grandma's cabbage rolls, my favorite cabbage recipe is this Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Skillet recipe. And if you want to celebrate with a classic Irish dish, be sure to stop by The Pioneer Woman's website to get this Corned Beef and Cabbage recipe.
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram