I have never made homemade pudding - like no box mix. I actually think the amount of times I've actually made box mix pudding as an adult is only 1 or 2. I digress... I saw this pudding and thought it looked amazing. I made it with Butterfingers (which if I remember correctly is how the original blogger did), but really you could pair it with any candy bar - Baby Ruths, Twix bars, Milky Ways, Reese's cups - nom nom! I used fresh whipped cream, but I definitely think I'll go the Cool Whip route next time.
What you need:
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups chopped candy bars [I chose Butterfingers]
- Cool Whip for topping
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, cocoa, and salt in a saucepan.
- Whisk milk into the dry mixture. Then bring to a boil over medium-high heat while continuing to whisk.
- Boil for one minute.
- In a bowl, beat egg yolks. Continue to beat the yolks and start adding in 1 cup of the hot milk mixture. Do this slowly and continue to beat the yolks while you do it.
- Afterwards, pour the egg yolk mixture into the saucepan and continue to whisk for about 1 minute until it thickens.
- Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla. Stir well.
- Place in a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap so that it touches the top of the pudding.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Before serving, add 1 1/2 cups candy bar pieces, reserving the last 1/2 cup for topping the individual servings.
- Divide into bowls for serving and top with remaining candy bar pieces and Cool Whip.
Recipe from Taste & Tell
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram