I have made quite a few dishes with quinoa over the last year or so. It's quickly become a family favorite. We've even subbed it out when rice or pasta is called for because we love it so much. I jumped the gun when I found a crockpot quinoa recipe. I adapted it slightly because we had poor broccoli supply at the store at the time I wanted to make it and I wanted to make it extra cheesy with not only pepperjack but some smokey gouda cheese too! And I totally cheat and use the real bacon bits instead of frying up bacon because let's be honest - it's super messy!
What you need:
- 1 lb. chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp. nonfat dry milk
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. chicken bouillon
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. basil
- 1/2 tsp. parsley
- 1 tsp. minced onion
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 3/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup bacon bits, plus some for serving
- 1/2 lb. green beans (I did a little more)
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 1/2 cup pepperjack cheese
- 1/2 cup gouda cheese
- In a bowl or large ziploc bag, mix together dry milk, cornstarch, and all the dry seasonings.
- Slice chicken into bite size pieces and then add to bowl or bag. Toss or shake to coat chicken.
- Pour the entire bowl or bag including chicken into your crockpot.
- Add quinoa into the crockpot and pour water over the top. Add 1/4 cup bacon.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours or on HIGH for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Add green beans in the last half hour of cooking.
- Remove lid from crockpot and set aside. Stir together yogurt and flour and add to crockpot. Stir until combined.
- Top with grated cheese and additional bacon bits. Cover until cheese melts and serve.
Recipe from 365 Days of Slow Cooking
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram