Good morning, everyone! I'm back for the third year in a row (for me) of the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap, hosted by Lindsay of Love & Olive Oil and Julie of The Little Kitchen. I especially love that signing up means a donation to Cookies for Kids' Cancer. It's great cause and I have so much fun making cookies and sending them off to my three matches. I won't lie - it's fun to get 3 dozen cookies in the mail, too! Last year I made Dark Chocolate Peppermint M&M Cookies and my first year participating, I made Salted Caramel Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookies.
This year, I sifted through my cookie board on Pinterest and narrowed down a few recipes. Ultimately, I wanted something caramel-y and chose to do these Brown Butter Salted Caramel Mocha Cookies from kevin & amanda. Brown butter is heaven. Plus you cannot go wrong with salted caramel mocha anything.
As I always do, I made two batches. Most cookie recipes that I make yield around 3 dozen cookies, but since I was sending a dozen to three people - I had to have some for here at my own place to eat. Also you gotta taste test! :) I ended up sending some home with my mom-in-law (who had my brother-in-law and his new wife in from Germany for leave staying with her) and my sister-in-law. This year, my three matches were: Valerie of A Scrumptious Life, Nicole of Confectionalism, and Christine of Chew Nibble Nosh (who sent ME cookies last year!). So they each got a dozen of these too-good-for-words cookies!! Also shout-out to the swap sponsors, Dixie Crystals and Oxo who sent some kitchen goodies - a silicone mat and beaker measuring glasses. Thank you, guys!!
These cookies are simply wonderful. The brown butter truly makes the cookie, but the caramel and chocolate chunks are incredible too. The salt is the "icing on the cake" - if you catch my drift.
What you need:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. instant coffee granules
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup caramel bits
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- Sea salt for sprinkling
- In a saucepan, melt butter on medium heat. When it begins to foam, start whisking. Continue to whisk until it browns and there are brown bits in the bottom of the pan. Pour into a mixer bowl and allow to cool.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together flour, coffee granules, baking soda, and salt.
- Beat together the cooled butter and sugars for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add egg, egg yolk, and vanilla, mix until combined.
- Add flour mixture gradually and mix until just combined.
- Stir in caramels and chocolate chunks.
- Using a cookie scooper, scoop dough onto a parchment paper or silicone mat lined cookie sheet. Sprinkle each round with sea salt.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for about 10 minutes.
- Cool for 2 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe from Kevin & Amanda
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram
stop by my amazon store to see my kitchen must-haves