This over-the-top burger is nestled between 2 pieces of spicy Popeye's chicken!
This recipe is long overdue to show up on the blog and it's one that I find just so ridiculous, but I love my husband and I can't NOT post this recipe. When it comes to burgers, Nick would rather have a larger meat-to-bun ratio...really with any meal ever...he wants more meat than anything else. He's not a picky eater by any means, but he likes to eat fewer carbs if he can. While he was in New York getting ready to "final out" and move down to Tennessee, he went to a few "Hail and Farewells" - that's what the army does when they say goodbye to soldiers and welcome new ones. Don't quote me on this because it's been so long now, but I believe this particular night was his Hail and Farewell.
They went to a local restaurant and he got a burger that had two chicken patties as the buns. He begged me for months to make a burger like that and we put our heads together and came up with a burger with our own twist on it. We decided to make copycat Popeye's spicy chicken for the buns and we stuffed our burger with onion and green bell. There is also Vermont sharp cheddar, lettuce, bacon, and buffalo sauce on them. In the restaurant they served it with chips and salsa, but we chose to do onion rings.
Naming it was fun because the original is called the "Little John" burger. We thought about Little Nick's but then decided upon Little Nicky because of the Popeye's chicken...reference to Adam Sandler's movie, Little Nicky. This burger was going to be so good it would feel like your brother hit you in the face with a shovel. And there you have it...this heart attack on a plate. It is a lengthy recipe and it was a process to make it. It's definitely not something I will ever make on a regular basis. Personally, I prefer bread to chicken patties for a bun, but I HAD to share this recipe because it's over-the-top and I know somewhere out there, someone will make it. And because Nick absolutely loved it and has been begging me to make it again. It's probably going to get made for his birthday and I'm okay with that. Once a year is more than enough for this one ;)
What you need:
- Copycat Popeye's spicy chicken - flatten your chicken as thin as you can
- 1 to 2 lb. ground beef (80/20)
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced finely
- 1 small onion, diced finely
- Bacon, cooked
- Vermont sharp cheddar
- Buffalo sauce
- Other toppings: banana pepper rings, tomato, etc.
- Prepare copycat Popeye's spicy chicken according to the recipe, ensuring that you have your chicken breasts pounded out as thin as they will go. I believe I took a shortcut and purchased the thinly sliced chicken at the store.
- Meanwhile, roll ground beef into 6 to 8 balls. Push some of the green pepper and onion into the ball and then flatten into a patty. Repeat.
- Cook burgers until done - on a grill, in a cast iron pan, etc. You can top with cheese in the pan or hot out of the pan to help it melt a little.
- To assemble, top one chicken patty with a burger patty. Drizzle with buffalo sauce and then add bacon, lettuce, and remaining toppings of your choice. Finish topped with a second chicken patty and serve immediately!
Original Fantastical Recipe
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram