I have been wanting to make lasagna rolls for a very very long time. Basically since I saw them online...and that's been many many years.
I am relatively new to loving spinach. I didn't start eating it until my adult life and that was because my mom didn't like it, so it never made its way to our dinner table. I love it though. It's one of my favorite green leafy foods. My kids love spinach too, so there was no doubt in my mind that they would love this recipe.
I am a lover of Italian food...but surprisingly I'm not really a huge fan of lasagna. When I made my first lasagna, I found a recipe that I will eat and love. My aversion has always been to ricotta cheese and that recipe uses cottage cheese (which I loved as a kid, but don't like as an adult)...but you cannot even tell it's cottage cheese and it's just amazing! My husband is also iffy on lasagna. He, like me, will eat it every once in a while. Maybe like once a year. I made the recipe using cottage cheese and he was extremely disgusted, as he is with anything that contains anything remotely like sour cream, ranch dressing, or mayonnaise. But he tried it anyways and it turns out that he ALSO loves that recipe for lasagna...so when I made these lasagna rolls, I subbed out the ricotta for cottage cheese.
We also really like meat with lasagna and used ground beef in this one, but you could use ground turkey for a healthier alternative. Maybe a mix of turkey and Italian sausage. Either way it's a fantastic dish and pretty simple to put together.
What you need:
- 10 lasagna noodles, cooked*
- 1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 15 oz. small curd cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper
- 1 to 2 jars spaghetti sauce [I personally will use two when I make them again]
- 1 lb. ground beef or turkey, cooked and crumbled
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, plus some, if desired
- In a bowl, stir together spinach, cottage cheese, Parmesan, egg, salt, and pepper.
- Pour about 1 cup of spaghetti sauce into the bottom of a 9x13-inch pan.
- Lay out your lasagna noodles (they should be dry) on a piece of wax paper.
- Spread 1/3 cup of cottage cheese mixture onto noodle evenly. Roll up and put seam side down into your pan. Repeat with remaining noodles.
- Mix together cooked meat and remaining sauce. Spoon over the noodles and top with mozzarella cheese.
- Cover and cook in a preheated 350* oven for 40 minutes.
Recipe adapted from Recipe Shoebox
facebook | twitter | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram