I used to be a Prego girl (not pregnant, but spaghetti sauce brand). It's what I grew up eating with spaghetti and it's what I used for a good few years of my adult life. Then I began searching for the perfect homemade sauce. I had a few busts...and then I found my absolute favorite recipe for spaghetti sauce of all-time: Meaty Spaghetti Sauce.
It still is my favorite.
However, this recipe DOES come pretty close to touching that. AND this one is in the crockpot, meaning it's perfect for summer spaghetti nights. The other recipe is stovetop and simmers for about an hour. So I have one for hot and cold weather! Or lazy days :)
Nick, on the other hand, is in love with this recipe. He thinks it's hands-down the very best spaghetti sauce he's ever had and declared I could stop searching because we've found the very best recipe for spaghetti sauce ever. Gotta love when you find a recipe that is THAT good, right?!
What you need:
- 1 lb. ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- 1 medium onion, diced finely
- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 to 2 bay leaves
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 2 tsp. basil
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 1/4 tsp. red chili pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- Brown ground beef in a skillet with minced onions, seasoned with salt and pepper. Drain if needed. Add to crockpot.
- Add the remaining ingredients EXCEPT for butter. Stir and cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours.
- Remove bay leaves and stir in butter.
- Serve over pasta or meatball subs, etc.
Recipe from Iowa Girl Eats
facebook | twitter | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram