Over the years, I have really fallen in love with chicken parmesan. I used to not like it, but it really has grown on me (much like philly cheesesteak and jalapeno popper and buffalo chicken stuff) - thanks, hubby! Also due to Nick, we have soup night frequently when the weather is cool. I guess he has always loved soup and used to eat it every day when he was little, so we do a lot of soup. I like to vary it up, so the rest of us don't get sick of it.
This particular soup just won out on favorite soup for my 7 year old, Matthew. He has always loved Cheddar Broccoli Soup and no other soup came close to beating it, but this is the soup he now begs me to make again...because it is his absolute favorite. I can't say I blame him...it's ready in under 30 minutes and it's delicious!
What you need:
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 to 3 chicken breasts, seasoned, cooked, and diced or shredded
- 28 oz. diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 8 oz. pasta (I used elbow macaroni)
- 1/2 to 1 cup shredded Parmigiana Reggiano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh basil for garnish - or - dried basil
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat and saute onion until softened and translucent.
- Add garlic and red pepper flakes, cook for 1 minute.
- Add broth, chicken, tomatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add pasta and cook al dente (according to box directions).
- Stir in cheese until melted. Season with salt and pepper and basil to taste.
Recipe from Closet Cooking
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram