Fluffy waffles topped with a mixed berry sauce, whipped cream, chocolate, and macadamia nuts!
I adore using my waffle iron, but unfortunately I don't use it as often as I'd like. It's kind of one of those things where I've been on a mission to utilize everything in my kitchen as regularly as possible. We just recently started going through the boxes in our basement from our move in the end of 2014 and we're finding all sorts of goodies down there. Like my mini springform pan, my bread pan, and a few other kitchen goodies.
Anyways, my waffle iron is easily one of my favorite kitchen tools. It doesn't take long to heat and batter never takes long to make for it. Cooking time is quick, too. It's literally so easy to make waffles...so so easy. I have had this recipe hoarded for many-a-years...like since Ashton of Something Swanky posted it in 2012. Her blog has been one of my favorites for a very long time. I don't think I can recall a time where a recipe of hers has failed me and I trusted that this one would be no different. The waffles are so fluffy and I loved the idea of a berry sauce on top instead of syrup. Fun fact: I hate the smell of maple syrup and I will only put enough on my waffles/pancakes/French toast to taste. I hate any excess. I also hate that it's sticky. I actually had a similar waffle at a hotel continental breakfast a few weekends ago and it reminded me of how much I really want to make these again. The chocolate chips and macadamia nuts add richness and crunch for an overall wonderful breakfast or brinner!
So, in short, find yourself a waffle iron. Mine was purchased for under $20 and is still going strong years later. It doesn't have to be expensive to cook waffles! :)
What you need:
For the waffles:
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- Whipped cream
- Milk chocolate chips
- Macadamia nuts
- 2 cups mixed berries (strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries are what I used)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, eggs, milk, vegetable oil, vanilla, and lemon juice.
- Pour about 3/4 cup batter into a preheated waffle iron and cook according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Meanwhile, combine mixed berries, water, sugar, and cornstarch in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and stir often. Remove from heat and add lemon juice. Return to heat and stir until it thickens to desired consistency over low heat.
- Top waffles with berry sauce. Then add whipped cream, chocolate chips, and macadamia nuts. Serve immediately.
Recipe from Something Swanky
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram