Rich chocolate cake with red wine infused chocolate frosting to top it all off!
Today's Sunday Supper event is dedicated to all the mommas out there! Our theme is MOM'S FAVORITE RECIPES and is hosted by Christie of A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures and Wendy of Wholistic Woman. You will find recipes that are ones our moms made OR ones that our moms love to eat.
I am very blessed to have not only a wonderful mom, but a wonderful mother-in-law. She took me under her wing from day one and I can always count on her for advice and she is one of the most giving and selfless people I know. Her birthday is on December 30th and I know that has probably been a bit hard over the years because it's so close to Christmas and she puts everyone before herself. It has always been a priority to me to put a lot of thought into celebrating her birthday since joining the family. I've made red velvet cheesecake, German chocolate cake, piggy cupcakes, and dark chocolate cappuccino cupcakes in past years. This past year I was going to make red wine chocolate bonbons for her to be able to take home and went on the hunt to find a cake that would go well with the bonbons.
My mom-in-law loves her wine, so I wanted to put a little wine in the cake somehow. I went to Sally's (of Sally's Baking Addiction) blog and found a beautiful triple chocolate cake that I knew would be the perfect base since it had coffee in it - if ever a cake could make a woman happy, it's one with coffee, chocolate, and wine - am I right?! I did a little more hunting and found a sangria cupcake recipe. The buttercream frosting used a red wine reduction syrup, but I wanted to have red wine chocolate frosting and so I did a little more hunting and found how to make a red wine dark chocolate sauce. I replaced the red wine syrup with red wine dark chocolate sauce and the frosting turned out wonderfully. Honestly, I could eat the red wine chocolate sauce with a spoon. It's so rich and decadent.
Even though this was a long process, it was definitely a labor of love. I was very happy that she loved the cake (and the bonbons) and I'm already hunting for a new recipe to make her this year for her birthday - I'm sure it'll be hard to top this one!
What you need:
For the Devil's Food Chocolate Cake (from Sally's Baking Addiction)
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup freshly brewed strong hot coffee
*Make while the cake is baking and allow to cool as the cake cools!
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips or melting wafers
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 cup red wine chocolate sauce (recipe above)*
For the cake:
- Sift together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a stand mixer, mix buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla until combined. Then add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients gradually, mixing on low.
- Add coffee and mix until combined. Your batter will look very thin and that is a-okay!
- Prepare two 9-inch round cake pans with parchment paper and nonstick cooking spray. Divide batter between the two pans as evenly as possible.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 23 to 27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool before frosting.
- Mix wine, sugar, salt, and cinnamon stick into a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer and continue to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place dark chocolate into a bowl. Remove cinnamon stick from wine mixture and then pour over the dark chocolate. Let sit for a few minutes and then whisk until smooth. Let it cool to room temperature.
- Beat together butter and shortening for 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add 1/4 cup prepared red wine chocolate sauce and mix.
- Then add powdered sugar. Add 1 cup at a time, slowly, until you get the consistency you want.
- You can add more red wine chocolate sauce and just add enough powdered sugar so that it isn't "wet".
- Place one layer of the cake on a plate or cake stand and trim the top, so that it's flat. Top with frosting. Then top with the second layer and spread frosting on top and sides of the entire cake.
- You can decorate as you wish. I made some red wine chocolate bon bons to sit on top of the cake - I'll have to post that recipe soon.
Stop by to see more recipes inspired by moms below!
Starters (Appetizers, Beverages, Breakfast):
- Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal by Cooking With Carlee
- Frozen Pina Colada by The Redhead Baker
- Goats Cheese Rolls with Honey and Thyme by Manu’s Menu
- Mom’s Banana Bread by Family Around the Table
- Mom’s Famous Poppy Seed Bread With A Citrus Glaze by And She Cooks
- Mom’s Wine Spritzer by Momma’s Meals
- Asiago Bruschetta Roasted Asparagus by Flavor Mosaic
- Italian Country Salad by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mom’s Cucumbers in Vinegar by Simple And Savory
- Mom’s Homemade Perogies by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mom’s Potato Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Polish Haluski (Pan Fried Noodles & Sauerkraut) by The Crumby Cupcake
- Spinach Salad with Simple Vinaigrette by Cooking Chat
- Zippy Barbecue Sauce by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Chicken and Egg Salad Sandwich by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Chicken with Poblano Cream Sauce by Casa de Crews
- Fried Smelt by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Granny Smith’s Meatloaf by Get the Good Stuff!
- Jean’s Best Vegetable Soup by Food Lust People Love
- Lemon & Garlic Herbed Roasted Chicken by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Mama’s Favorite Southern Fried Chicken by The Chef Next Door
- Mom’s Cheese & Onion Enchiladas by The TipToe Fairy
- Mom’s Lentil Toastadas by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Mom’s Moussaka by My Life Cookbook
- Shirley's Potato Soup by Our Good Life
- Mom’s Spare Ribs To Go by An Italian in my Kitchen
- Mom’s Sukiyaki: Japanese Beef and Vegetables Hot Pot by Asian In America
- Myra’s Super Supper by Tramplingrose
- Pizza Meatloaf by A Mind Full Mom
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls by Cookin’ Mimi
- Apple Bread Pudding with Butterscotch Sauce by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Apple Crisp by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Baklava by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Brown Sugar Pudding by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Butter Balls by Feeding and More
- Carrot Cream Cheese Coffee Cake by Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Cherry Truffle Cheesecake by What Smells So Good?
- Crustless Pecan Pie Rice Pudding by Desserts Required
- Double Layer Chocolate Cake with Red Wine Chocolate Buttercream by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Easy Classic Date Squares by She Loves Biscotti
- Gluten Free Strawberry Rhubarb Cake by What The Fork Food Blog
- Homemade Chocolate Cherry Candies by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Hungarian Crepes: Palacsinta by My Gourmet Connection
- Lemon Cookies with White Chocolate and Mint by The Finer Cookie
- Lemon Pound Cake with Lemon Glaze and Roasted Strawberries by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Mom’s Apple Pie by Wholistic Woman
- Mom’s Famous White Icing by Monica’s Table
- Moms Mayonnaise Cake by My World Simplified
- Pavlova with Raspberries and Cream by Caroline’s Cooking
- Rocky Road Brownie Sundae for Mom by The Weekend Gourmet
- Rose Shortbread Cookies by Baking Sense
- Sour Cream Cheesecake by Magnolia Days
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram