This pasta dish is cooked in one pot and is served with a special crunchy topping!
I am so happy to finally be sharing this recipe - partly due to the fact that if I'm stuck meal planning, I will jump over to my blog's recipe index to find something to make. I often forget about recipes waiting to be posted until then, so YES!! This one is going to be added to the index and it will now be something I remember making when I need a chicken recipe or a pasta recipe!
This recipe looks incredible plated, but the flavors are what really blew me away. The bread crumb topping is the perfect crunch to go with the softer textures of the pasta and tomatoes and spinach.
What you need:
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 cup Italian panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese, plus some for serving
- 1 pkg. chicken breasts or tenderloins, sliced into bite-size pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lb. thin spaghetti or angel pasta
- 3 cups halved grape tomatoes
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced finely
- 4 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 10 to 12 fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped, plus some for serving
- 5 cloves minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 oz. baby spinach
- In a deep skillet, melt 1 Tbsp. butter in 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium-low heat. Add breadcrumbs and garlic powder. Stir to coat the crumbs. Keep stirring until the crumbs are golden brown in color.
- Immediately remove from pan and place into a bowl. Stir in Italian seasoning and 2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- Add 3 Tbsp. olive oil to same skillet and heat over medium-high. Season chicken with salt and pepper and cook in hot oil until golden brown on each side. Remove from pan and keep warm - if there are bits of chicken left in the pan, that is a-okay!
- Add pasta, tomatoes, broth, onion, basil, minced garlic, salt, and crushed red pepper flakes to skillet. Bring to a boil over high heat while stirring constantly.
- Boil for 5 minutes, while still stirring, and add chicken back to skillet. Cook until pasta is al dente, still stirring while it cooks.
- Remove from heat and stir in spinach. Let it wilt slightly.
- Serve pasta topped with more basil, Parmesan, and toasted breadcrumbs.
Recipe slightly adapted from Foodie with Family
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram