The chicken is cooked to perfection in a cast iron skillet and then topped with basil, tomato, and a slice of yummy mozzarella!
Disclaimer: This is not a true caprese recipe, this is just a tribute.
Please be sure to stop by Nikki's blog to get the marinade recipe. I could not make the marinade recipe because no one else likes balsamic vinegar in this house: UGH. Don't get me wrong...I don't have a picky family. BUT I am the least picky of them all. I eat a wide range and variety of foods. I just marinated my chicken in garlic, oil, salt and pepper and then continued on to fix the rest of the recipe all caprese-like. If you are like my family and don't enjoy balsamic vinegar, this is a pretty fantastic almost-caprese chicken recipe! :)
I am pretty much obsessed with using my cast iron at this point and really love being able to place it in the oven to broil cheese to make it all brown and bubbly!
What you need:
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup oil
- 3 Tbsp. minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 to 8 thinly sliced chicken breasts
- 6 to 8 slices tomato
- Fresh basil leaves (enough to cover 6 to 8 chicken breasts)
- 6 to 8 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- Mix together oil, garlic, salt and pepper and place in a Ziploc bag with chicken. Refrigerate and let marinate for 2 to 4 hours.
- Cook marinated chicken in cast iron skillet or on the grill until it's fully cooked.
- Top each with 3 to 4 basil leaves, a slice of tomato, and a slice of fresh mozzarella.
- Place under a broiler until the cheese is brown and bubbly.
- Serve with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar, if desired.
Recipe adapted from Chef in Training
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram