Calling all my Popeyes - this chicken parm is amped up with a healthy serving of spinach tucked inside.
I know I don't normally post recipes this late in the day, but I have been so distracted today (and over the past week or so). Today, my momma had surgery on her knee - a total knee replacement. It was much overdue and I'm sure she'll be feeling loads better when it heals completely. I had a total blonde moment and showed up at the wrong hospital today, so that was interesting to say the least. I ended up remembering that she switched doctors and was being seen at a different hospital and the kids and I went to the correct one to see her. She was a bit tired, but seemed quite optimistic and the surgery had gone well (her surgeon said).
I probably would have had this post scheduled prior to today's events had it not been for Pokemon Go. My husband and I grew up obsessed with Pokemon - we both still play on different systems from time to time. Our oldest kids are also obsessed and have played the original games on the Gameboy, collect the cards, and have watched most all of the seasons of the tv show. So needless to say, we are all out as a family trying to catch them all. Our most awesome catch to date is Charizard and we are Team Mystic. The kids enjoy being able to get Pokestops and catch Pokemon on my phone while I drive. If you're playing, leave me a comment about your team and favorite catches so far!! :)
None of this really has anything to do with the recipe, but I felt kind of talky today! This recipe is slightly different than its original form because we are not fond of ricotta cheese and I did not mix eggs into the stuffing. Regardless, I felt that my adjustments still did the recipe justice and it was a fabulous meal. I love baking chicken in the oven - it always turns out so juicy and tender.
What you need:
- 8 thinly sliced chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs, beaten slightly
- 6 oz. baby spinach
- 6 oz. shredded mozzarella
- 6 oz. fresh mozzarella log, cut into thin slices
- 1 cup pasta sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine breadcrumbs and Parmesan in a bowl. In a separate bowl, beat eggs.
- Lay out your chicken breasts and on each, layer spinach leaves and shredded mozzarella.
- Roll each chicken breast up and secure with toothpicks, if needed.
- Carefully dip each rolled up breast into eggs and then breadcrumbs.
- Place seam side down in a greased baking pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes in a preheated 450* oven.
- Remove from the oven and spoon a tablespoon of sauce over each piece of chicken.
- Cover each piece with a slice of mozzarella.
- Return to oven and bake for about 5 more minutes. I turned my broiler on low to get a little brown on my cheese.
- Serve over cooked pasta, if desired. We did ours with garlic bread and a side salad.
Recipe slightly adapted from Real Advice Gal
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram