Move over, Jelly! Peanut butter has a new best friend and it's a burger!
It's Sunday and that means it's Sunday Supper time! *crowd cheers* I love participating in the Sunday Supper Movement events so much. This week's event is HAMBURGERS AND HOT DOGS and is hosted by Christie of A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures. Today, I chose to share an unique hamburger recipe for the event: the Guberburger.
The Guberburger originates from a restaurant in Missouri called the Wheel Inn Drive-in. This burger, that is topped with peanut butter, came on the scene in 1947. Unfortunately, the Wheel Inn closed back in 2013. Lucky for me, the recipe was posted in a Food Network Magzine. I thought to myself that it sounded so strange to put peanut butter on a burger, but in the description it said that the owner at the time said she always told the customers that if they didn't like the Guberburger, she would make them something else. She never once had to. So for me, I was deadset on making it. I'm trying to step out of my comfort zone and try new things even if they sound weird.
And let's be honest...peanut butter on a hamburger sounds weird. My husband looked at me in horror when he saw me scooping the peanut butter onto the burger. He did reluctantly decide to give it a try after I relayed the "never had to make a different burger" line to him about the restaurant.
The verdict: WE ALL LOVED IT. I was skeptical of the mayo and peanut butter combo, but that's how the burger was originally made...honestly, all the burger parts paired with peanut butter made me skeptical. But the savory peanut butter was perfect on it. It went with everything! We've made this burger multiple times now and it's definitely a family favorite. I am so glad we decided to step outside of our comfort zone. :)
What you need:
- 6 heaping tablespoons of creamy peanut butter
- 2 lb. ground beef (I used 80/20)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 6 hamburger buns
- American cheese
- Tomato, sliced
- Heat peanut butter in a small saucepan over medium low heat. Stir until loose and then reduce heat to low and stir every once in a while.
- Form your ground beef into 6 patties. Flatten them as much as possible .
- Cook in a hot skillet until done, flipping once.
- Meanwhile, toast buns using unsalted butter in a skillet. I do mine in a small skillet, so I divided my butter up to do it in rounds.
- To build your Guberburger: top bottom bun with cheese, burger, a heaping tablespoon of warm peanut butter, lettuce, and tomato. Then spread mayo on the top bun and place it on the very top. Enjoy immediately.
Recipe from Food Network Magazine, July/August 2011 issue
More hamburger and hot dogs from my fellow Sunday Supper movement pals below!
All American Burgers & Dogs
- BLT Burgers by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Bourbon BBQ Bacon Burger Sliders by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Bourbon Onion Bacon Dog by Grumpy's Honeybunch
- Chicago Style Hot Dog by The Culinary Compass
- Copycat Guberburgers by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Idaho Dogs by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Philly Cheesesteak Dog by Palatable Pastime
- Pimento Cheese Burger by Magnolia Days
- Southern Seasoned Beef Burger by April Go Lightly
- The Best Ever Bacon, Egg and Cheese Burger by The Chef Next Door
- The SmashBurger by Monica’s Table
- Whiskey Burgers by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Burgers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chicken Parmesan Burgers by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Chicken Satay Burger with Peanut Sauce by Baking Sense
- Chicken Tikka Burgers by Sunday Supper Movement
- Miso Glazed Chicken Burgers by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Blue Cheese Burger with Fig Jam by Garden Matter
- Caprese Burgers by The Redhead Baker
- Cheddar Stuffed Taco Burger by My Life Cookbook
- Dominican Chimichurri Burgers by The Crumby Cupcake
- Guacamole Cilantro Lime Cheeseburger by Life Tastes Good
- Hot Dog Maki Roll by kimchi MOM
- Meatball Parmesan Burgers by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Portuguese Hamburger by Family Foodie
- Salchipapas (Peruvian Sausages and Potatoes) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Smoky Sliders with Chipotle Mayo by Cooking on the Ranch
- Spicy Shishito Dog by Brunch-n-Bites
- Baby Back Rib Burger by The Freshman Cook
- Brown Rice & Lamb Burgers with Spinach by Wholistic Woman
- Fish Taco Burgers by Pies and Plots
- Greek Lamb Burgers with Blistered Tomatoes and Tzatziki Spread by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Miso Tuna Burgers by Caroline’s Cooking
- The Perfect Lentil Burger by Food Lust People Love
- Gluten Free Dessert Hamburgers by Gluten Free Crumbley
- How to make Salmon Burgers with Mango Salsa by Asian In America
- How to Pan-fry Bratwurst by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- The Ultimate #SundaySupper Hamburger and Hotdog Wine Pairing Guide by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram