This yummy gnocchi soup is wonderful for chilly fall and winter nights.
Last week, I posted my soupless soup...this time, my soup looks VERY soupy. I don't mind having lots of broth in thicker soups like this one. And my poor gnocchi looks MIA, but I promise it's in there and hello, what a wonderful take on potato soup! I like that there is no cutting potatoes, you just throw the potatoes (gnocchi) in. So in a way, it's like a lazy potato soup, but you can pretend it's fancy potato soup LOL.
What you need:
- 12 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, plus some for serving
- 1 lb. potato gnocchi
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Green onions, diced
- In a stockpot, cook bacon until crisp and then remove to a paper towel-lined plate. Reserve 2 Tbsp. of bacon grease.
- Add onions to grease and saute until soft.
- Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Slowly whisk in broth and milk.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and let thicken, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add gnocchi and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Stir in cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve topped with green onions, additional cheddar cheese, and reserved bacon.
Recipe from Cheese Curd in Paradise
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram