Load it up or keep it simple, these burrito bowls are perfect for a crowd who wants to customize their dinner to their tastes!
Another burrito bowl recipe hits the blog...I think I have at least 2 or 3 more. *nervous smile* I am just in love with these because they remind me of how you build your own Petros (frito pie). You pick your toppings and everyone is happy. My oldest kiddo, Matthew, is really picky with toppings, so he opted for beans and lettuce. My daughter, Cambria, likes a lot of things, but NOT guacamole. I am the least picky of the family, so I loaded mine up! I love that this recipe also included zucchini and yellow squash because I feel like I never make those enough and they are two favorites.
This recipe makes a great deal of food, so if you are needing to feed 6 to 8 people...this is the recipe you want. It's seriously such a great recipe!
What you need:
- 2 cups uncooked long-grain rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 lb. beef sirloin steak, cubed
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken, cut into cubes
- 4 Tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 yellow squash, diced
- 2 bell peppers (various colors, your choice), seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- Zest and juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- Lettuce (iceberg or romaine), chopped
- Assorted toppings: pico de gallo, guacamole, sour cream, queso, salsa, lime wedges
- In a saucepan, mix together rice, chicken broth, and 1 tsp. salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes until broth has absorbed and rice is fluffy. Set aside and keep warm.
- In a small bowl, mix 1/2 tsp. salt, black pepper, cumin, and chili powder.
- Season steak with half the seasoning mix and chicken with the remaining half.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. oil and 2 Tbsp. butter in a large skillet over medium-high. Place beef in skillet and let it cook for 1 minute. Toss and cook for another minute or two, letting the outside get some color without cooking all the way through. Remove and keep warm.
- Add chicken to skillet and cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until cooked through. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, add remaining 2 Tbsp. oil and 2 Tbsp. butter. Then add onion, zucchini, squash, and pepper. Saute for a few minutes until golden.
- Meanwhile, stir lime zest and juice and cilantro into the rice.
- Serve rice, veggies, and meat topped with black beans, lettuce, and assorted toppings.
Recipe from The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Dinnertime cookbook
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram