It's time again for Secret Recipe Club reveal day for my group, Group D! What is Secret Recipe Club? It's a bunch of food bloggers separated into four groups that post once a month on a designated Monday. Each month, we are paired with another foodie from our group secretly (hence the name). We then pick a recipe (or two or more) from that blog and make it. On our reveal day, we reveal whose blog we had and what recipe(s) we chose all at the same time. It's like a Secret Santa every month, but with food and blogs! It's a great deal of fun :)
This month, my assignment was Chocolate & Chillies, a blog written by Asiya who resides in Toronto. She has Indian background herself and her husband is Pakistani, so there is a lot of influence from their heritages in the recipes she shares on her blog. I went searching for a pizza recipe - it's what I needed for my meal plan for the month. Asiya has tons of great recipes, but I ultimately chose the Mexican Pizza because it had a bean spread for a "sauce" and that just was super intriguing for me.
I made some slight adjustments to the recipe. I used a whole can of corn, a ton more cilantro [there's never enough cilantro!], and added some chorizo sausage...because if there is no meat...I get some complaints! I believe my husband and older two kiddos say, "the meal ain't complete if it don't have meat!" - needless to say, our dinners typically have meat, so I'm not sitting around with a bunch of whiny butts! I personally would have loved it either which way - with or without meat. The bean spread was just plain awesome. I didn't miss the red sauce at all. I was really happy with how colorful it was too. Colorful foods are the best! And this pizza is the BEST BEST BEST! Y'all have to put it on your lineup ASAP! :) Thank you, Asiya, for the awesome recipe!
What you need:
- 1 recipe pizza dough [I used my favorite with some cornmeal added in instead of Italian seasonings and garlic, etc.]
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1/4 cup water, plus some
- 1 lb. chorizo sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced [leave the seeds, if you want some heat]
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 tomato, diced
- Cilantro, to your liking, chopped
- Shredded colby jack cheese
- Using a food processor, pulse together black beans, cumin, chili powder, garlic, black pepper, paprika, cayenne, and salt. Add lime juice and water. Pulse until desired consistency is reached. I pulsed mine a lot because I wanted it smooth. Asiya left hers a little more chunky.
- Roll out pizza dough and lay on a cornmeal sprinkled pizza pan.
- Spread out as much bean mixture as you want.
- Top with sausage, onion, pepper, jalapeno, corn, tomato, and cilantro. If I remember correctly, we actually sauteed the onion and bell pepper with the chorizo.
- Top with colby jack cheese.
- Bake at 425* for 10 to 15 minute or until crust is golden brown.
- You can top with any type of taco toppings, like lettuce, salsa, guacamole, etc. We left ours plain.
Recipe from Chocolate & Chillies
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram