I grew up eating tatortot hotdish (we call it hotdish in Minnesota)...I posted my mom's recipe on the blog in the very beginning of Fantastical: here. Then I tried a recipe that used cheddar cheese soup and broccoli: here. My husband and his family had never had tatortot hotdish, but I made it and turned them into believers. I made this recipe shortly after I moved down to Knoxville - while I was staying with my in laws until we bought our house. What I really love about this one, other than the amazing flavors (think chili cheese fries!)...is that there is NO condensed soup in it. It's been a few years now where I don't really cook with condensed soup anymore, so it's nice to keep the trend going :)
What you need:
- 1 bag frozen tatortots
- 2 lb. ground beef
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 onion, diced
- Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- 8 oz. water
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- Sour cream and green onions, for garnish
- Pour tots into the bottom of a 9x13-inch casserole dish. Bake at 400* for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook ground beef and onion in a skillet over medium high until beef is cooked through and onion is translucent. Season with salt and pepper. Drain, if needed.
- Add a couple dashes of Worcestershire, chili powder, cumin, tomato sauce, and water. Bring to a boil and then reduce to medium low and cook for 10 or so minutes.
- Add "chili" on top of tatortots and top with cheese. Bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes.
- Garnish with sour cream and green onions!
Recipe from Love Bakes Good Cakes
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram