The perfect chili to eat while celebrating the great beer fest that is Oktoberfest.
Today's Sunday Supper event is all about OKTOBERFEST and hosted by Cricket of Cricket's Confections. I actually have a few German recipes in my post queue, but decided to go the non-German heavy route and post this recipe for a twist on the classic family favorite of chicken chili. There are 3 different Schnitzel recipes coming at some point and some Apfelkuchen (apple cake)...and I have decided upon a German recipe for my Secret Recipe Club post this month too. But for now, I cannot reveal what that is.
I've only recently started eating German cuisine [and learning the German language] and definitely love it so far. My brother-in-law is newly married to a German girl and she has integrated into our big loud family so quickly and we adore her. She's been sharing lots of her favorite foods with us, so I'm excited to check out the recipes that are on the list at the end of this post from my fellow Sunday Supper movement pals - they certainly look more authentic than my post for today.
This chicken chili has classic flavors that I love plus the addition of cinnamon that reminds me so very much of Cincinnati Chili (which is Greek based). But the Oktoberfest beer really makes the whole dish. Nick adores Oktoberfest beer and we end up getting nearly every brand out there of it. Once when he was deployed through the fall and wasn't going to be home, I bought so much Sam Adams Oktoberfest beer and stored it in our basement for his return. LOL. I hope that even though it's no where near traditional German cuisine that y'all try this yummy dish out. It's the perfect autumn dinner!
What you need:
- Olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 5 jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bottle (12 oz) Oktoberfest beer - Yuengling, Sam Adams, Leinenkugel, etc.
- 4 cups water
- 4 tsp. chicken bouillion granules
- 2 cans (15.5 oz) Great Northern beans
- 1 can (15.25 oz) corn
- 1 can (10 oz) Rotel
- 1 can (4 oz) diced green chillies
- 1 lb. chicken, cooked and shredded
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- Heat a Tbsp. or so of olive oil in a stockpot over medium to medium-high heat.
- Add onion and jalapenos and cook until tender. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add beer and simmer over medium for about 5 minutes. Then add water and bouillion.
- Add beans, corn, Rotel, green chillies, and chicken
- Then mix in the spices and simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Before serving, stir in heavy cream, sour cream, and cream cheese until it is melted into the chili.
- Serve topped with Mexican blend or cheddar cheese and tortilla chips, if desired.
Recipe from Crazy for Cookies and More
Stop by to see these other German recipes in celebration of Oktoberfest below!
- German Pancake Soup (Flädlesuppe) by Caroline’s Cooking
- German Potato Pancakes by The Crumby Cupcake
- Homemade Pretzels with Kids by Hardly A Goddess
- Kräuterbutter (German Herb Butter) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Latke and Sauerbraten Poutine by Monica’s Table
- Obatzda – Bavarian Cheese Spread by Sunday Supper Movement
- Warsteiner Fondue by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Apple Tart by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Kaiserschmarrn Recipe by Plated Cravings
- Nana’s Gluten Free German Chocolate Cake by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Rote Grütze (Fruit Pudding) by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Main Dish (Hauptgericht)
- Bavarian Sausage & Cabbage Soup by Food Done Light
- Beef Goulash Recipe by Positively Stacey
- Beer Mac and Cheese by Moore or Less Cooking
- Berlin Potato Soup by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Bierocks by Mindy’s Cooking Obsession
- Bratwurst Sheet Pan Dinner by A Mind Full Mom
- Burgers with Bacon-Sauerkraut Jam by Palatable Pastime
- How to Make Traditional German Sauerbraten by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Oktoberfest Beer Brats by Wholistic Woman
- Oktoberfest Chicken Chili by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Oktoberfest Fondue 3 Ways by Momma’s Meals
- Pork chops with Sauerkraut and Apples by Brunch-n-Bites
- Roasted Apple & Beer Chili For Oktoberfest by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Sausage, Pepper, and Onion Kebobs w/ a Boiled Cider Drizzle by The Freshman Cook
- Schwenkbraten (Grilled German Pork Chops) by Curious Cuisiniere
Side Dish (Beigabe)
- Fried Potatoes German Style by My Life as a Cookbook
- German Potato Salad by Tramplingrose
- Ginger Beer Sauerkraut by Cricket's Confections
- Herbed Spaetzle by The Hungry Goddess
- Krautsalat (German Coleslaw) by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Oktoberfest Potatoes by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram